Crabs, kelp and mussels: Argentina’s waters teem with life

Is SARDIN also banned by provential gov's to protect environment?
Could it be possible that even SARDIN CANS are also banned to protect env? Disappeared from supermarkets shelves.

Is SARDIN also banned by provential gov's to protect environment?
Could it be possible that even SARDIN CANS are also banned to protect env? Disappeared from supermarkets shelves.
I still see them at my local chino

Sardines are en oferta in supermercados Día, now, 50% off the second unit. Sale ends today.

Argentines dont like fish a lot- so most of the good stuff is exported. Not sure why someone would think Argentina doesnt export seafood. It does.
For instance, there is a decent scallop harvest here, but scallops command a global price that makes them too expensive to be saleable in country. We met a guy a couple of years ago who works full time as an international scallop salesman from Argentina, and they harvest, pack, and airship all over the world.
I would imagine its similar with crab, and other more exotic seafood- if the japanese will pay large amounts for fresh, air freighted to Tokyo, and they markets in Argentina cant sell for 1/4 the global price, why even bother trying to sell here?
my experience with farmed salmon is that its tasteless and mealy.
I have a lot of friends who fish King, Copper River, Chinook, Sockeye, and Pink up in Alaska, and having grown up on that, I skip the Chilean farmed stuff.
However, you can get what they call Trucha here, which is a salmon family fish from Patagonia, that is good, natural, and not too expensive.
We have recently discovered Mar Abierto, on Bulnes y Paraguay, which has a lot of quality local seafood, most frozen on the boat, from a company in MDQ. Everything we have had from there has been good, including the Trucha, and unlike say, Ostramar, you cant smell the store from a block away...

Argentines dont like fish a lot- so most of the good stuff is exported. Not sure why someone would think Argentina doesnt export seafood. It does.
For instance, there is a decent scallop harvest here, but scallops command a global price that makes them too expensive to be saleable in country. We met a guy a couple of years ago who works full time as an international scallop salesman from Argentina, and they harvest, pack, and airship all over the world.
I would imagine its similar with crab, and other more exotic seafood- if the japanese will pay large amounts for fresh, air freighted to Tokyo, and they markets in Argentina cant sell for 1/4 the global price, why even bother trying to sell here?
my experience with farmed salmon is that its tasteless and mealy.
I have a lot of friends who fish King, Copper River, Chinook, Sockeye, and Pink up in Alaska, and having grown up on that, I skip the Chilean farmed stuff.
However, you can get what they call Trucha here, which is a salmon family fish from Patagonia, that is good, natural, and not too expensive.
We have recently discovered Mar Abierto, on Bulnes y Paraguay, which has a lot of quality local seafood, most frozen on the boat, from a company in MDQ. Everything we have had from there has been good, including the Trucha, and unlike say, Ostramar, you cant smell the store from a block away...

The dollar volume of exports for fish and seafood in 2023 is shown below.

I've read that if you go to mercado central you can find seafood that is hard to find in pescaderias like centolla.

cookeseafood.com/2023/08/05/wanchese-fish-company-adds-new-scallop-vessel-for-argentina/#:~:text=It%20is%20the%20biggest%20new,quarter%20of%20the%202024%20season.

Back