Credit Card Security

iStar

Registered
Today I visited the grocery store CARREFOUR and I noticed on the receipt my entire VISA account number was printed along with my full name. Only the expiry date was XX out.

I haven't checked if the same happens at DISCO where I also shop.

You might want to be extra careful in properly disposing of your receipts.

Yikes...that is NOT good! I will double check...but last time at Coto's was the same as always....but good heads up for all....Thanks so much!!!

**this is something the store does keep...their end of the receipt....very scary if those numbers get in the wrong hands!!!!

EvergreenGal said:
**this is something the store does keep...their end of the receipt....very scary if those numbers get in the wrong hands!!!!

good looking out!!

this is why I pay in cash all the time. I've had my card cloned in the USA a few years ago and that was a hassle I don't want to deal with again, especially now that I am here. I'm not sure if they clone cards here, but I don't take the chance.

I am always puzzled by the excitement that many exhibit at the thought of their credit card in the wrong hands. Why?

For holders of cards issued by US banks or banks operating in the US, the maximum liability one has is $50. This is a limit set by federal law and as I understand it; can only be imposed if the card holder has been negligent in reporting unauthorized use.

So, assuming you check your statement at least once a month, I cannot see how misuse of one's credit cards can lead to personal losses.

With my extensive travel over the years, I have lost count of how many times my cards has been misused. People have used my number to buy enough computer gear to start a server farm. A simple phone call to the card issuer or a tagging of the charge on the issuer's website is all that has ever been required to have a transaction removed.

I would hope that holders of cards from banks in other developed countries have similar limitations on liability.

Is that not the case?

Neil

It's not so much the liability as is the hassle of having to contact your credit card company, companies that do automatic monthly payments, update Paypal etc... especially when you are in a foreign country.

The other thing to be concerned about is identity theft.

Denver said:
I am always puzzled by the excitement that many exhibit at the thought of their credit card in the wrong hands. Why?

For holders of cards issued by US banks or banks operating in the US, the maximum liability one has is $50. This is a limit set by federal law and as I understand it; can only be imposed if the card holder has been negligent in reporting unauthorized use.

So, assuming you check your statement at least once a month, I cannot see how misuse of one's credit cards can lead to personal losses.

With my extensive travel over the years, I have lost count of how many times my cards has been misused. People have used my number to buy enough computer gear to start a server farm. A simple phone call to the card issuer or a tagging of the charge on the issuer's website is all that has ever been required to have a transaction removed.

I would hope that holders of cards from banks in other developed countries have similar limitations on liability.

Is that not the case?

Neil

Nothing in life is free, fraud on your card may be covered by the Credit Card companies but they will in turn charge it in fees back to the clients..

Just out of curiosity, who here actually uses her/his debit card at grocery stores, etc.? That's the card I care about the MOST. I only use it when I'm going to the ATM, and the rest of the time I hide it in my apartment.

I've had my wallet snatched, and it's a huge hassle getting the cards replaced.

I use my credit card wherever and whenever because I get points for every dollar I spend but more importantly because I avoid all the fees I am charged when I use my ATM card for cash. ($5CAD for each foreign withdraw + $11ARG local ATM fee)

This way, I conserve my cash and get the best exchange rate when I charge everything to my credit card. I then make an online payment from my Canadian bank account. I always pay my balance in full so I never occur interest charges.

I never carry my ATM card with me. I just carry my credit card and ID.

Back