Credit Card Security

Lee said:
I only use my debit card at the ATM for cash. Credit cards are too easy to "clone" had it done here and they got a cash advance of $2000 US dollars without even having my pin number on a credit card.

Shit...I can't even get a cash advance on that particular card YET they were able to do it somehow and for 2 grand!

Can happen anywhere...watch out!

Wow, that's pretty shocking. Do you know where/how it was cloned? Call me ignorant, but I was under the impression that it could only be done if they had another "swiper thingy" to record the card's information.

I oonly use my Capital One card (no fees whatsoever) at the grocery store all of the time so that I don't go through all of my cash. I hate paying all of the fees to take out cash!

However, now that I'm back here in the U.S. for a few months, I think I'll be looking into one of those Schwab accounts. Anyway, interesting stuff about the card cloning! eeks!

bradlyhale said:
Wow, that's pretty shocking. Do you know where/how it was cloned? Call me ignorant, but I was under the impression that it could only be done if they had another "swiper thingy" to record the card's information.

I oonly use my Capital One card (no fees whatsoever) at the grocery store all of the time so that I don't go through all of my cash. I hate paying all of the fees to take out cash!

However, now that I'm back here in the U.S. for a few months, I think I'll be looking into one of those Schwab accounts. Anyway, interesting stuff about the card cloning! eeks!

a swiper can be super tiny and fit very snuggly in the palm of your hand. or it could be added to the bottom part of a regular card swiper and you might not even notice it.

Back