Creme fraiche

PhilipDT

Registered
I've always been able to buy it in grocery stores in the US, haven't yet seen it in Argentina (not surprised).

Which would be fine since I've made it a few times back in the states with heavy cream and buttermilk. But, low and behold, there is no butter milk here either.

So does anybody know where I can find creme fraiche or buttermilk? Or has a recipe for creme fraiche that can be made in argentina.

There are some products that are very similar to crème fraiche. Look for crema casan or so, you find it in all supermarkets. It is like a mild sour cream. But I never got Buttermilk here. When I bake Muffins I use yogurt natural with some milk instead of Buttermilk.

PhilipDT said:
I've always been able to buy it in grocery stores in the US, haven't yet seen it in Argentina (not surprised).

Which would be fine since I've made it a few times back in the states with heavy cream and buttermilk. But, low and behold, there is no butter milk here either.

So does anybody know where I can find creme fraiche or buttermilk? Or has a recipe for creme fraiche that can be made in argentina.

Mendicreme is my own personal favorite to replace creme fraiche..available everywhere an din lite form if preferred...good texture and taste..but not 100% creme fraiche as I knew it in my former life.

An easy substitution for buttermilk is simply milk with lemon juice. You can find the ratio online. I make a buttermilk buscuit with it often. Almost the same thing!

Saludos!

RobinsonGO said:
An easy substitution for buttermilk is simply milk with lemon juice. You can find the ratio online. I make a buttermilk buscuit with it often. Almost the same thing!

Saludos!

Does the lemon juice actually create the cultures or just approximate the flavor? Because if it's the latter then this isn't really helpful for making creme fraiche.

PhilipDT said:
Does the lemon juice actually create the cultures or just approximate the flavor? Because if it's the latter then this isn't really helpful for making creme fraiche.

I'm not sure what you mean by buttermilk since different cultures (sorry!) mean different things by the term. The lemon juice into scalding milk method makes what I understand as buttermilk - whey - which is a by-product formed when I use the technique to make my own Requesón.

I don't know if it will make exactly what you are looking for but just adding the lemon to the cream will curdle it and give it a tart flavor, I use it to make "sour cream" on a regular basis. The consistency varies based on the cream you buy, the ones in the plastic I find runnier and the cartons thicker. I don't have a specific ratio, I just add lemon juice let it curdle, then stir and add more for personal taste until it's as tart as I want, then just let it sit out for a few hours.

elhombresinnombre said:
I'm not sure what you mean by buttermilk since different cultures (sorry!) mean different things by the term. The lemon juice into scalding milk method makes what I understand as buttermilk - whey - which is a by-product formed when I use the technique to make my own Requesón.

How do you make Requesón?!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rich One Expat Life 2
Back