Cubiertos? What's The Deal?

In Italy , it was originally called " Panne e Aqua" , Bread and water. Someone came up with the fancy name of "coperto" or "cover" .......

In worse times in Italy , people would go to restaurants and order water and bread , tie up the table , then leave after eating bread and drinking the water , and pay nothing. That is why "coperto" came about.

Nothing unusual about Cubierto, in California, at least in places where there is a live performance, to have a minimum or cover charge

I have been charged 4 cubiertos when only two of us were dining, a few times...especially if you are not speaking spanish during the meal. I always check they don't try to sneak it by.

I have been charged 4 cubiertos when only two of us were dining, a few times...especially if you are not speaking spanish during the meal. I always check they don't try to sneak it by.

Being the Devil's Advocate... IMO If you are occupying a table for 4 , one should pay 4 cubiertos, Taking it to the limit, if the 4 have a coffee you are using space that could be sold to customers willing to spend...!!

Not the waiter's fault nor anyone's fault.

If I don't want to deal with "cubiertos" I sit my stingy butt at home and eat.

I go to restaurants to try new food, to eat when I don't want to cook and to have a good time with the wife, and when I do that, I don't worry about no stinking cubiertos. I would only NOT tip the waiter/waitresses if they were terrible, and if the cubiertos bothered me, I'd stop going to the restaurants that have them (which is most of them here I think).

Its a business, deal with the price you pay for the product and services you get or choose something else.

If you don't like it, go to McDonald's or sit at home.

Not the waiter's fault nor anyone's fault.

If I don't want to deal with "cubiertos" I sit my stingy butt at home and eat.

I go to restaurants to try new food, to eat when I don't want to cook and to have a good time with the wife, and when I do that, I don't worry about no stinking cubiertos. I would only NOT tip the waiter/waitresses if they were terrible, and if the cubiertos bothered me, I'd stop going to the restaurants that have them (which is most of them here I think).

Its a business, deal with the price you pay for the product and services you get or choose something else.

If you don't like it, go to McDonald's or sit at home.
It has nothing to do with the price of the cubiertoa. None of the expensive restaurants have cubiertos and I've never complained about paying the full price for a meal, what I object to is the sleazy underhand way of tacking additional fees on to the bill to increase profits. Just raise the damn prices if you want more money!

Back