Curious, smoke detectors, fire sprinklers in buildings ?

Stanexpat said:
When I lived there I installed my own smoke detectors. I lived in one high rise in Peru that had smoke detectors and an alarm system. I discovered that the system had been disconnected because because the administrator of the building didn't want to pay for the required twice annual maintenance. I informed them that I would not pay the monthly fees and would advise others in the building to do the same until the system was back on line. They quickly had the system repaired.

Installing your own smoke detectors is a great idea, we had an electrical fault a month ago that smoked the house, luckily no fire, but planning on installing a detector now. How much did you pay for yours out of curiosity? The fact that Argentina is not as reliant on electricity is probably also a factor in the number of fires.

Its also true that even though many buildings carry fire extinguishers, many are probably so old they wouldnt function. I didnt know this before but some types of fire extinguishers DO EXPIRE ! Not a bad idea to buy a small one of your own, they do sell small ones for cars.

Of course at the end of the day locked fire exits is a problem that needs to be solved.

I brought my from the states, battery powered. I not sure where you could find them there but I'm sure somebody has them. You might want to try a specialty-type hardware store that sells fire extinguishers or that type of thing. Maybe someone will write in that has seen them for sale there.

Stanexpat said:
I brought my from the states, battery powered. I not sure where you could find them there but I'm sure somebody has them. You might want to try a specialty-type hardware store that sells fire extinguishers or that type of thing. Maybe someone will write in that has seen them for sale there.

I'll go shopping tomorrow and report back. Sin duda, it is a great item to bring with you!

MATAFUEGOS AYACUCHO in Recoleta can get them in one day but does keep them in stock. The cost is $139 pesos. I would imagine they are cheaper in the US.
Ayacucho 1051 (half block from Av Santa Fe). 4812-8885. Its possible to call a day ahead and order one to save a trip. The owner speaks perfect English. Tell her that Stella the long-harried chihuahua sent you.

There are Metafuegos (fire-extinguisher) shops all over the city.

People, different countries, different issues.
Its true, Cromañon wasnt the first fire, but we didnt loose entire cities, like US with Chicago or San Francisco, and the difference is made by construction material.
Its true, public places should use blindex in every door and window, but Thanks God we dont have shooters inside Universities and high schools. Different countries, different issues. Every building has fire extinguishers, that are more apropiate for different types of fire. Water systems, are useless for many types of fire. Fire is not a big issue in Argentina (thanks God). I think we have more important issues like water pollution.
And, at last but not at least, if you feel insecure, buy a fire extinguisher at supermarket. So simple... People, again, different countries, different issues, my neighbour´s grass isnt greener than mine...

expatson said:
People, different countries, different issues.
Its true, Cromañon wasnt the first fire, but we didnt loose entire cities, like US with Chicago or San Francisco, and the difference is made by construction material.
Its true, public places should use blindex in every door and window, but Thanks God we dont have shooters inside Universities and high schools. Different countries, different issues. Every building has fire extinguishers, that are more apropiate for different types of fire. Water systems, are useless for many types of fire. Fire is not a big issue in Argentina (thanks God). I think we have more important issues like water pollution.
And, at last but not at least, if you feel insecure, buy a fire extinguisher at supermarket. So simple... People, again, different countries, different issues, my neighbour´s grass isnt greener than mine...

Construction materials are part of the answer, but also attitudes and practices.

BTW the Chicago fire was in the 19th century, SF was at the turn of the 20th century and was the result of an earthquake. Don't forget the great London fire 1666 or that Rome burned while Nero played.

Point should be that there is a lack of fire safety awareness there. If you want more protection you are going to have to do it yourself, simple as that.

Stan,
Here are your attitudes an practices:

Page last updated at 14:59 GMT, Tuesday, 24 February 2009

Fire engulfs New York apartments

A blaze in a six-storey apartment block in New York's Chinatown has killed at least one person and injured at least 21, including several firefighters.
The fire in the city's Manhattan borough, which broke out just before 0400 (0900 GMT), was largely under control by mid-morning.
Residents dressed in nothing but their night clothes had fled into the street to safety in freezing temperatures.
There was no immediate word on the likely cause of the fire.
At least five of the injured are in critical condition, fire officials say.
At one point, about 170 firefighters and up to 39 fire engines were at the scene on James Street. Chinatown is a densely populated area, home to large numbers of Chinese immigrants.

expatson said:
Stan,
Here are your attitudes an practices:

Page last updated at 14:59 GMT, Tuesday, 24 February 2009

Fire engulfs New York apartments

A blaze in a six-storey apartment block in New York's Chinatown has killed at least one person and injured at least 21, including several firefighters.
The fire in the city's Manhattan borough, which broke out just before 0400 (0900 GMT), was largely under control by mid-morning.
Residents dressed in nothing but their night clothes had fled into the street to safety in freezing temperatures.
There was no immediate word on the likely cause of the fire.
At least five of the injured are in critical condition, fire officials say.
At one point, about 170 firefighters and up to 39 fire engines were at the scene on James Street. Chinatown is a densely populated area, home to large numbers of Chinese immigrants.

I guess I don't get your point.

Back