currency crisis and credit cards

A

abc123

Does anyone know if you can use an Argentine credit card to purchase goods and services from the United States WHILE in Argentina? Or, can you only use your Argentine Credit Card to buy American goods while in the US? What if you add another authorized user to your card, and that person is in the US. Does he or she have to be Argentine?

messilover said:
and you get the official exchange rate this way?

Ummm... Exactly what other exchange rate would you expect using a credit card anywhere? Blue rate? When you use a credit card you get that bank/company's official rate which is in line with the official rate.

This is one of the last fragile, direct links to the world economy; I don't know if it will last (without further restriction). If we use the pattern of recent events as a guide one would have to conclude that there will be changes coming.

I think they are clamping down on online transactions. You have to call the bank for approval beforehand (with Visa, for example). Eventually I think they will end non-swiped USD purchases on Argentine cards. It will only work for people who are actually travelling with their Argentine cards.

I used a argentine CC to send money by Paypal to the US the other day....I was plenty surprised when it worked :)

How much money? Also, what if you have a friend abroad use your credit card when you're in Argentina? Would that be tracked?

I only sent 200 by Paypal two different times....I am sure at some point, there is a limit.

Back