Customs

Lanick

Registered
Hello;

With the new rules, can we bring electrical items to Argentina without an issue at EZE? Or do we still need to do any declarations at the customs but those old rules imposing hefty taxes doesn’t exist anymore?

Also; can you recommend any second hand places to buy furniture, dishwasher etc.

Thanks in advance

In fifteen years, never had an issue with customs, or been asked to fill out a single declaration. While obviously for personal use and not resale, I have brought in sewing machines,kitchen appliances, audio gear and dj equipment, tools, computers, a guitar amp, a sous vide, furniture , ( small, and in parts, but furniture nonetheless) cameras, and many oddball things. Never a blink from customs. In September I brought a curved railing in pieces for my stairway here, 25 kilos of aluminum parts, they asked what it was, and when I told them, waved me thru without even opening the bags.

Facebook marketplace and mercado libre are the best for used things. Many private sellers will even deliver. I once bought a desk from a guy in La Plata, he delivered it to retiro for an extra five dollars.

I would buy electrical items locally, because of the funny plugs, and also (assuming you're coming from the US) the voltage. Small electrodomestics aren't terribly expensive, and there are some good brands (I get Peabody whenever possible).

I suppose it's a bit of a lottery at Ezeiza, in another thread (and a ferryport rather than an airport) I believe a poster suggested entering with the last arrival of the day when everyone wants to go home already. I would say the first arrival of the day is also good, before the customs people have had their mate. I brought in an aftermarket catalytic converter (USD 600) at 6am, it was packed in a box that had previously belonged to an exercise bike, so the customs guy at the x-ray machine (from 10 feet away) asked if it was an exercise bike? I said (shouted) no, it's a catalytic converter for my car... and I was waved through.

Can we bring electrical items to Argentina without an issue at EZE?
What sort of electrical goods are you looking to bring? If it's a laptop, phone, iPad, etc. yes, and do so, it's much cheaper than buying here, but if you're thinking about a TV or appliances then no, because whatever you save in repurchasing it's probably lost on shipping plus the voltage/plug difference as Frank mentioned.

For furniture if you're not choosy the ejercito de salvación in Pompeya has dressers, tables etc. it's good for buying in bulk if you have to furnish a whole place fast. Marketplace is great but it has you running all over the city and meeting flakey people who may or may not be there when you finally arrive. Ask me how I know...

What sort of electrical goods are you looking to bring? If it's a laptop, phone, iPad, etc. yes, and do so, it's much cheaper than buying here, but if you're thinking about a TV or appliances then no, because whatever you save in repurchasing it's probably lost on shipping plus the voltage/plug difference as Frank mentioned.
It’s a tennis ball machine. Oscillating one! Hard to find in BA. Strange stuff to bring all the way but addicted to it! :). If they say no; what do I do then? Can I pay the duty and have it or they will keep it?

It’s a tennis ball machine. Oscillating one! Hard to find in BA. Strange stuff to bring all the way but addicted to it! :). If they say no; what do I do then? Can I pay the duty and have it or they will keep it?
Depends on how big and expensive it is. I have brought in a 2' x 2' x 2' box with a $3500 sewing machine in it, they asked, what is this, I told them, they waved me thru.
Generally speaking, they are looking for specific things- drugs, weapons, wholesale quantities of phones or computers, large amounts of cash...
They are not usually concerned about single weird objects, such as a tennis ball machine.
In well over 20 trips, each time with lots of weird stuff, never a mention of duty.
If your machine cost $20,000, and looks like it, maybe.
Most likely, you will get a question or two, you tell them its for you and you love tennis, and you will go right thru.
But this is Argentina. Anything is possible.

Depends on how big and expensive it is. I have brought in a 2' x 2' x 2' box with a $3500 sewing machine in it, they asked, what is this, I told them, they waved me thru.
Generally speaking, they are looking for specific things- drugs, weapons, wholesale quantities of phones or computers, large amounts of cash...
They are not usually concerned about single weird objects, such as a tennis ball machine.
In well over 20 trips, each time with lots of weird stuff, never a mention of duty.
If your machine cost $20,000, and looks like it, maybe.
Most likely, you will get a question or two, you tell them its for you and you love tennis, and you will go right thru.
But this is Argentina. Anything is possible.
Thank you so much for your response. Very helpful.

Back