Daily Url - Dec 18Th

webteam

Administrator
Thursday, 18 December 2014

#MAPA14 Comes to a Close[La Panza Porteña]
What a glorious year its been for the aperitivo, wouldnt you say? Whether youre a hipster who drinks Campari with soda while youre at some underground party, a chic society girl sipping on Aperol as the sun goes down, or an old-school mans man who washes down your Cinzano with potato chips, 2014 was a good time to celebrate our love for aperitivi.

Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Where to Buy Shoes in Buenos Aires[The Real Argentina]
At the risk of sounding like a typical girl, or worse, Carrie from Sex and the City, I love shoes. I would go so far as to say I’m a shoe fiend. I think I love shoes so much because I don’t have to take off anything, apart from the shoes I’m wearing, to try them on (I also think that’s why I only have 2 pairs of jeans). When I arrived in Argentina a year and half ago, I had 3 pairs of shoes. Now I have 9. There are black sacks full of shoes in my parents’ house.

North Vs South: How Different Is Christmas In Argentina?[Buenos Aires 4U]
If youre coming from the Northern Hemisphere and are used to a White Christmas, complete with twinkling lights, cosy fireplaces, christmas jumpers, rich food, and maybe some eggnog or mulled wine, then prepare for a very different festive season in Buenos Aires! Christmas in Argentina, and most of the Southern Hemisphere is a very different affair. There are some key differences between Christmas in the North versus the South ...

City of Chivilcoy Bans Beauty Pageants[The Argentina Independent]
Beauty pageants are carried out throughout the country (photo: Wikipedia)
The Chivilcoy City Council has banned beauty pageants, after considering they are sexist.
Beauty pageants are a common element in regional festivals around the country, where a queen is chosen to represent the town for a year. Women who participate in these beauty contests are usually between 15 and 25 years old, and are made to parade before the judges and the public wearing different outfits, including swimming suits.

FIA Formula-e Championship 2015 in Buenos Aires[BA Travel Guide]
Formula-eis a new FIA single-seater championship and the world's first fully-electric racing series.The Buenos Aires Formula-e race, or ePrix, the fourth of 10 races for the inaugural 2014/2015 season, will take place on January 10th, 2015. The circuit will be located in the modern Puerto Madero district to the east of the Argentine capital of Buenos Aires.

Argentina zoo allowing visitors to pet lions 'faces closure'[The Telegraph]
Argentina zoo allowing visitors to pet lions 'faces closure'Telegraph.co.ukArgentina zoo allowing visitors to pet lions 'faces closure'. Lujan Zoo, in Argentina, denies allegations that it feeds drugs to lions, tigers and brown bears in order to allow visitors inside their cages to pet them and take photographs.

Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Argentina's Approach To Inflation: Ditch The Peso, Hoard U.S. Dollars[KPCW]
Argentina's Approach To Inflation: Ditch The Peso, Hoard U.S. DollarsKPCWBut getting those dollars has become increasingly difficult. Argentina defaulted on its debt in 2001 and ​chose to default again this past summer so has been locked out of international markets where it could pay on credit.

Monday, 15 December 2014

US Judge Grants Access to Argentina Kirchner Corruption Files[Latin American Herald Tribune]
CIJA's President Ezequiel Vázquez-Ger said that the Ferenbach decision is a small but important victory in the fight against corruption. “In countries like Argentina, public officials are generally able to manipulate the courts, harass the Judges, and ...

So You Want to Teach English in Buenos Aires…[Vagrant Violet]
… and you say that there’s absolutely nothing that I can say that will deter you from you dream? Very well. You have come to the right person. I’ve been teaching ESL/EFL for over 11 years, 6 of them in this fine city. By now, I feel that know enough about the field to impart a few pearls of wisdom for those who wish to endeavor the world of teaching English in Argentina.

Wunderkind Casey Wander Has Already Accomplished More Than You Ever Will[The Bubble]
Anglo-Argentine child superstar Casey Wander is moving up in the world.
It was not long ago that he was seen all over television making an incredibly articulate defense of former President Néstor Kirchner. After claiming that he would become president of Argentina in 2050, many thought his fame would fade away faster than you can say Gangnam Style, but to the surprise of many, it didn't. This weekend, President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner announced that she had met with him privately ...

Croissant v. Medialuna: A French-Argentine Faceoff?[Southern Cone Travel]
More than once, I’ve expressed my distaste for the cliché that Buenos Aires is the “Paris of the South,” when it’s really a New World immigrant city that’s more closely analogous to New York. Admittedly,I’m no Francophile – on three quick trips through France, I’ve managed to avoid Paris every time – but I can still point out the superficiality of such comparisons.

Is Argentina Really 'Infected With Foreign Criminals'? Or Just Xenophobic ...[Global Voices Online]
Debates about insecurity are becoming more frequent among residents, media and officials, although Argentina has a low rate of violent deaths (5.5 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants) compared with its regional neighbors, according to a report from ...

A Real Italian Stallion: La Locanda[Pick Up The Fork]
Argentina might be a country of Italian immigrants, but there are only a handful of restaurants that truly do authentic Italian cuisine justice. Im talking homemade pastas, fresh seafood, properly made breads, all with that Italian food love and passion kneaded into the dough. So where should we go in Buenos Aires for that taste []

Friday, 12 December 2014

Sinkhole Swallows Quilmes Beer Truck, Load Gets Obviously Stolen[The Bubble]
Do you remember this classic scene from The Simpsons? Because for the people of Avellaneda that unforgettable Homerism came close to being a reality today, after a truck that was carrying a thousand crates of Quilmes beer was suddenly swallowed by a sinkhole at the corner of Giriborne and Rivadavia, spilling its content all over the street.

Argentina Presents Rally Dakar 2015[Prensa Latina]
Lavigne thanked the local institutions for the total and exemplary support to this hard competition that covers nine thousand 600 kilometers and that, like the past years, besides running through Argentina, the course includes Bolivia and Chile and ...

Wednesday, 10 December 2014

BA ready to celebrate Tango Day in style[Buenos Aires Herald]
Whether a porteño, a frequent visitor or a fly-by tourist, today will be awash in tango music, dance, exhibitions, visual arts and host of other events to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the birth of legendary tango great Carlos Gardel. Under the fitting title of Tango de mis amores, the programme ends on Saturday, with the main activities being held at the Casa del Bicentenario cultural centre.

Thursday, 11 December 2014

The Curious Case of Argentina's Cinema Subsidies[PanAm Post]
That Argentina lives to hand out subsidies won't surprise anyone. The existence of subsidies to Argentinean cinema, however, has largely gone unnoticed in the country, and the state's backing of the silver screen has provoked little criticism.

Anne Frank Statue Unveiled in Argentina[Jewish Daily Forward]
Argentina's Minister of Education, Alberto Sileoni, told the crowd that "Anne left us a diary, but there are others who left nothing, and if that horror is lost it can be repeated." Other speakers included the recently appointed Dutch ambassador to ...

Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Churchill sent troops to the Falklands in 1942 fearing a Japan-Argentina entente[MercoPress]
Winston Churchill dispatched 1,700 troops to the Falkland Islands in 1942 out of concern that the Japanese were planning to invade the territory and interfere with critical sea routes in the South Atlantic. In support of this plan Tokyo allegedly was Playing on Argentina's desire to reclaim the Islands, the Japanese ambassador to Buenos Aires had promised the government that Japan ...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Daily URL 0
W Daily URL 0
W Daily URL 0
W Daily URL 0
W Daily URL 0
Back