declaring items at airport

Christopholous

Registered
Ok, so I know this is an exhausted topic, but just a quick question. I have family coming to visit me here in BsAs, and hopefully they will be bringing me two items that mean a great deal to me: 1) my bicycle (avid cyclist and a must have for me) 2) my laptop computer. My question is this: should they, or would they be advised, to declare either of these items at customs upon entering into BsAs (at Ezezia)? I've heard that you only declare items that you aren't planning to sell, but the truth of the matter is that I will probably end up leaving both items here in BsAs upon leaving in the future, therefore declaring them would cause more harm than good for me. My question really is, what are the odds of their being forced to "check" the giant box the bicycle will come in w/ customs? I know that when I arrived the entry process was a breeze, almost too easy that is, but I wasn't carrying a 2 x 4ft cardboard box w/ me. Any ideas???

"Christopholous" said:
Ok, so I know this is an exhausted topic, but just a quick question. I have family coming to visit me here in BsAs, and hopefully they will be bringing me two items that mean a great deal to me: 1) my bicycle (avid cyclist and a must have for me) 2) my laptop computer. My question is this: should they, or would they be advised, to declare either of these items at customs upon entering into BsAs (at Ezezia)? I've heard that you only declare items that you aren't planning to sell, but the truth of the matter is that I will probably end up leaving both items here in BsAs upon leaving in the future, therefore declaring them would cause more harm than good for me. My question really is, what are the odds of their being forced to "check" the giant box the bicycle will come in w/ customs? I know that when I arrived the entry process was a breeze, almost too easy that is, but I wasn't carrying a 2 x 4ft cardboard box w/ me. Any ideas???
Check the laptop in as a personal item of your family.
I would think it is hard to explain what you want to with a bike in Argentina, so I would guess that you need to pay customs for that

I bought a Raleigh bicycle in Nottingham (UK) a few years ago, and kept the invoice. If your bike cost you less than USD 300, they have to let you go through customs, no questions asked. As for the laptop, just make sure you don't bring it in its case.Whether or not you plan to sell the items you bring in is irrelevant. I hope this helps,CheersErnie

Hi guys,

I was considering bringing my bike down from the US in a few weeks and wanted to know if anyone had experience going through customs with a used bike? I realize the security concerns of having a nice bike in BA, but a pretty decent bike from the US is the same price as an old bad condition bike in Buenos Aires, so I'm willing to take the risk of robbery. The bike is several years old, so I don't have an invoice for when it was purchased. Do you think I could just say I was visiting Argentina and doing a bike trip? I'm currently on a tourist visa, but in the process of receiving a work visa.

Computer DONT mention personal use
I have a friend who brought in $$ bikes custom made in Holland and he had no problems as far as I know and he coudlnt hide them!

If the computer is used and or for personal use, you dont have to declare it. Just make sure its not in its original box. As for the bike you will need to declare it. Bring the receipt of purchase and iif it costs less than 300 USD, they wont charge you anything. If it costs more, they might make you pay customs duties. Now if you dont have the receipt, they might just go online to find the actual price, in which case youll pay depending o what they find online.

A couple years ago at Ezeiza I brought in my own MacBook Pro and a brand new 15-inch Retina version (not in original package) for my nephew. Not a single question asked.

We just brought in an inversion table (this is something to stretch your back, where you strap your ankles in and it pivots you upside down), this was in a huge box the size of a bicycle. It cost $299 and we had the receipt for it just in case. It was in it's original box (FYI, someone told me that American Airlines will ship stuff like this if you have a doctor's prescription, Ron just bought it off the internet and had it delivered to my moms, and AA still checked it for us for free even without the DRs prescription!) The guy at customs did motion for me to put it through the scanner with the luggage, the table is like a metal frame so I thought they would think it was a bicycle. The guy didn't even ask what it was. Good luck!

If your family are from the USA, Canada, or Europe, most likely they won't be asked a thing, and they will just run it thru the scanner and let them go.
If they look like they might be Argentinian, then they might have problems.
I have carried all kinds of stuff in to Ezieza over the last 7 years, and never been questioned about anything.
US passport, I look american, and they just wave me thru.
All the stuff I bring IS for me, I am not reselling- but I have brought new cameras, printers, laptops, stereos, routers, tools, sewing machines, kitchen utensils, bourbon, honey, spices, towels, sheets, and knocked down furniture, as well as artwork.
I really doubt I would have any problem bringing a bike.

yes i agree with Ries have your US passport in your hand.... speak a lot of English.... look like a lost tourist and you should have no problems

Back