Declaring more than 10,000 USD in cash

Remember, it's not just the origin and the destination: if you are transiting through a third country their limits also apply. Brazil, for instance, has a limit of 10,000 Reales. (Check today's rates to see how low that is)

This is an excellent point, and I personally decided to bring $100 USD less than the limit (~$1,800 at the time) in and out of Brazil on my way back to Argentina because I didn't want to declare it and face potential crooked cops and tipoff other travelers I had over 1K in cash on me.

@skyway I'll post this link which I did previously for someone who asked about buying a home: https://www.santander.com.ar/banco/online/personas/transferencias-internacionales/ayuda-familiar

This is the best way, despite the fees, as you'll receive USD in your bank account here without having to cary money through airports, and it will be "blanco" so you have a paper trail of it entering Argentina legally from abroad.

Was it because they declared >10k USD or were they otherwise conspicuously showing their potential as a target?
IIRC this investigation, there was a group operating in the arrivals hall targeting people wearing expensive watches and following them home or to their hotel to rob them. He wasn’t the only robbery victim of this group (the only fatal one however) there were a few, including one inside a hotel lobby itself in plain view of horrified staff and customers.

IIRC this investigation, there was a group operating in the arrivals hall targeting people wearing expensive watches and following them home or to their hotel to rob them. He wasn’t the only robbery victim of this group (the only fatal one however) there were a few, including one inside a hotel lobby itself in plain view of horrified staff and customers.

Reportedly the man was wearing a gold Rolex and was marked by airport staff as he came through. Friendly locals paid him a visit as he and his son unloaded luggage at a fancy hotel.

Reportedly the man was wearing a gold Rolex and was marked by airport staff as he came through. Friendly locals paid him a visit as he and his son unloaded luggage at a fancy hotel.

Un país con buena gente(?)

If I had to bring US $20K in to Argentina, I would either:

1. Fly to Argentina twice, bringing $9900 each time, or
2. Bring a companion (if I didn't already have one) to bring the cash. They get a free round trip ticket.

Bitcoin not affected.

In the end it turned out that it was fake Rolex he bought for 10 USD on a trip to Thailand the month before.

Just kidding.
If I had to bring US $20K in to Argentina, I would either:

1. Fly to Argentina twice, bringing $9900 each time, or
2. Bring a companion (if I didn't already have one) to bring the cash. They get a free round trip ticket.

Bitcoin not affected.
There are plenty of ways to get USD cash in hand here, even if you don't have a bank account. Obviously you need to know the right, trustworthy people. I usually pay about 2-3% commission (transfer to US bank account, receive it a couple of days later in 100 USD bills). As I live in Europe, this is about the same fee that I would have to spend just to convert it into USD at home. So this is the much cheaper option for me, and in addition I can avoid travelling with USD 10k to the airport and don't have to store huge amounts of cash in my house. [now in times of WU, I rarely do these kind of USD transactions at all, only in exceptional circumstances like buying a car]

In the end it turned out that it was fake Rolex he bought for 10 USD on a trip to Thailand the month before.

Just kidding.

There are plenty of ways to get USD cash in hand here, even if you don't have a bank account. Obviously you need to know the right, trustworthy people. I usually pay about 2-3% commission (transfer to US bank account, receive it a couple of days later in 100 USD bills). As I live in Europe, this is about the same fee that I would have to spend just to convert it into USD at home. So this is the much cheaper option for me, and in addition I can avoid travelling with USD 10k to the airport and don't have to store huge amounts of cash in my house. [now in times of WU, I rarely do these kind of USD transactions at all, only in exceptional circumstances like buying a car]

I love a good money laundering scheme.

Just kidding.
You're quite the comic. It's an extremely funny joke.

Back