Dehumidifier?

sheabird825

Registered
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a dehumidifier for our one bedroom apartment. I looked on mercadolibre for "deshumidificador" and came back with limited results. I don't want one of those huge ones, just a small or medium sized one. I checked the websites for Sodimac and Easy as well and came back with no results, same with some of the major electronics stores here. If anyone knows a specific place to buy one, please let me know! Thanks!

Hmm,have not seen one .The only thing I could suggest is an air conditioning with dehumidifier function. We have one ,used it after the recent rains. I can´t vouch for if it works as teh humidity was too much for it to really make an impact but if you only want to lower the humidity on wet normal days maybe it would work for you ? You might want to investigate.

We have two in our house and we bought them from a taiwanese supplier. He imports them from China.
Would you like me to get you his number? It's around 1k-2k pesos per dehumidifier, depending on the model.

Also pay attention to the source of unwanted moisture. The construction style here sometimes lends itself to trapping humidity. Leaky plumbing or improperly sealed outside walls can draw water and rapidly wick a surprising distance through the brick work. There is also a tendency to use free-standing heaters. Natural gas gives off quite a bit of water vapor as it burns, so if you use any heaters that are not designed to completely vent to the outside, this will raise your moisture content considerably. If the heater is on an outside wall and has no vent, it can be replaced with a Calefactor/Estufa "Tiro Balanceado".

Another option is to keep a small freestanding electric heater with fan in each area, on low all the time. In our other life we live on our boat, heaters on low with air movement work amazingly.
Nancy

Thanks for all the suggestions! We live in a building less than 2 years ago and had the same problem last year. Surprisingly, it's a problem only when the weather cools down. It's likely a problem with the constructions of the building.The built-in closet is the worst and it's incredibly frustrating to have clothes and shoes covered in mold. We bought those things to put in the closet that absorb moisture, which so far has been working great. But elsewhere in the apartment we have started to notice problems. The bedskirt, the lampshade, and the walls. Around the windows is metal and the moisture collects there and then drips down the wall cause light mold on the wall there. And, unfortunately, the heat for our building hasn't been turned on yet (which is in the floor), so we can't see if that will help. In the end, we'll most likely buy the small one on mercadolibre even though it is pretty expensive for the size.
Thanks again!

We had these types of problems during cold weather in a place we were renting a few years ago. In our case it was mostly the unvented gas stove, which the landlord was kind enough to replace when he saw our situation. Possibly an adjoining apartment has a problem? We were having serious mold problems as well. One thing that helped a bit was to move all wardrobes and other moisture sensitive items away from the walls, especially outside walls which are prone to condensation. Using wardrobes as room-dividers somewhat sucked aesthetically, but it was better than seeing our possessions slowly destroyed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Expat Life 1
J Expat Life 0
Back