Delta - ticket info/leaving USA

Oh I understand that. I've been on enough flights to know the basics. I have a return flight and everything, paid for and done. I leave the 28th of December and come back 27th of June. My ticket allows me to change the flight return date. However, I was told that the airlines (in this case Delta) "may" not allow me to board the flight knowing I can only stay for 90 days meanwhile the flight return is clearly for a lot longer then 90. I was posting here to ask if this is true. The only places I have ever flown to are Italy and Spain and can stay for as long as I want considering I am an Italian citizen. I have never been to Argentina, I don't know what will happen. I am just concerned and now this person who mentioned the 90 day thing to me...is making me nervous cause now I have the flight. See what I mean?

What you have posted helps and make sense. I just want to know that I can board the damn plane so I can see my girlfriend who lives in Argentina.

I had to pay $100 extra from NYC to BA to change my ticket. I had a reservation to come back to the US a few months later as I live in BA. I was really angry as I never let my visa expire. Recently I had to pay Delta another $100 to change my return ticket again. You may end up at the airport with the same problem I had. It is the first time it happened to me on Delta or American as I have been back and forth a few times...each time with at least six months in between. I called and complained to Delta...why didn't they tell me when I booked my ticket...It's not our responsibility to know the visa laws in all the countries and yet they fined me the customer a $100us to change my ticket and another to change it back...no one asked me when I changed my ticket back if I had a valid visa for 10 months more he...It's a really unorganized random situation they have going on at Delta and I believe we should write them and try to lobby for a change.

Italia311 said:
Oh I understand that. I've been on enough flights to know the basics. I have a return flight and everything, paid for and done. I leave the 28th of December and come back 27th of June. My ticket allows me to change the flight return date. However, I was told that the airlines (in this case Delta) "may" not allow me to board the flight knowing I can only stay for 90 days meanwhile the flight return is clearly for a lot longer then 90. I was posting here to ask if this is true. The only places I have ever flown to are Italy and Spain and can stay for as long as I want considering I am an Italian citizen. I have never been to Argentina, I don't know what will happen. I am just concerned and now this person who mentioned the 90 day thing to me...is making me nervous cause now I have the flight. See what I mean?

What you have posted helps and make sense. I just want to know that I can board the damn plane so I can see my girlfriend who lives in Argentina.

Oh. Ok, now I understand. In this case, personally, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you really are would, then perhaps invent an itinerary to say where you are going. Ie. 2 months Spanish class in BA then 2 months Portuguese class in Brazil, then you will visit Paraguay, Chile, etc. If you are really, really worried, then maybe even print out schools & housing options to show them. But really, I wouldn't worry about it. It's well know that it's almost always cheaper to buy a round trip in & out of one country than an open jaw in to BA & out of wherever.

When I flew United on a one-way ticket about 2 years ago, the check-guy at the local airport encountered difficulties relating to the lack of a return flight within three months. He just hit a bunch of override buttons, but workers in NYC would be less likely to get frustrated and ignore the issue. I had prepared by buying a buquebus ticket (back when they were much cheaper) to go to Punta Del Este and force myself into a beach vacation. I'd recomend buying a one-way ticket on LAN.com, which has a 24-hour cancellation period, printing out your itenerary, and then canceling the purchase. It seems highly unlikely that the United desk worker in NYC would be able to check, and the immigration authorities in BA are very unlikely to care. In the era of electronic tickets, a printout of a cancelled flight (be sure it's not just a reservation) seems likely to succeed.
saludos
Brendan

I flew from ATL-EZE on 8/28 with a return leg on 12/24 and no one said anything on either end. The only problem I had on the outbound was the FAA glitch which caused me to be delayed a day (only nice that I was moved up to business) and on this end two bags didn't make it for 5 days.

With a round-trip ticket, you should have absolutely no issues. They have no idea whether you are going to stay in Argentina the whole time or travel and then return to fly home.

I've got my flights booked for the next year on Delta (have to book in advance to use miles):

7/30/08 (JFK) - 12/15/08 (EZE): Delta - no problems on arrival with 10+ suitcases and dog
12/31/08 (DTW) - 5/22/09 (EZE): Delta - no problem booking
6/6/09 (JFK) - 8/22/09 (EZE): Delta - no problem booking

All I had was my passport each time.

sergio said:
I don't have the answer though I have a feeling that they will accept the explanation that you will be traveling in the region and returning via Argentina. A complication is that as of January Argentina will be requiring visas, apparently issued on arrival at the airport, and no one seems to know if the high charge will be good just one time or for multiple entries.

Is this only for Canadian citizens..the need for a visa? Where did you read or get that information? Thanks...

hello. i was closely following this conversation before leaving the states with my one-way ticket.

i just wanted to add to this thread about my success...

i left philadelphia on saturday afternoon flying with american airlines, i then switched planes in miami and took lan argentina to EZE. i had no problems with my one-way, no one asked any questions.

I had this problem. A counter agent in Ft. Lauderdale would not let me board my connecting flight to Atlanta (final destination BA) because I did not have a visa. I explained to her that I have been living in Argentina for four years and that there is no need for a visa, but she wouldn't budge. I had no choice but to buy a return ticket from BA. It cost U$1800. Even though I received a full refund when I visited the Delta office on Santa Fe, it was still a highly unpleasant experience.

Hey Guys! Very usefull information here! I actually called Delta personally and spoke with them and they told me all they care is that you have a return ticket. While Argentina or surrounding areas it is none of their concern what I (or anyone else) does. Just need to prove that I am coming home. Luckily my return I am able to change!

Take care all....
Joe

Back