Deteriorating relations with the US

sergio

Registered
The current feud between Cristina and the United States looks very serious. I was hoping that relations between the countries would improve under her leadership but I guess I was wrong. The fighting has already started. The Argentine Congress even issued a condemnation of the US for its involvement in the suitcase scandal (seems to me they have a right to be involved since the man carrying all the money is a US citizen). Anyway, I am wondering if expats are going to run into hostility in day to day dealings with Argentines. at the airport etc.

Oh, yes!! Expect public executions of foreigners on squares all over the country. The children will then kick the bodies and the rests will be placed at the airport in Ezeiza, so that no more foreigners dare to visit this holly country!
Come back down from the cloud you are living on! Talk to Argentines, read the forums (or the comments at La Nacion's website - in case you still don't know it is a newspaper) and then you'll learn what Argentines think about this episode.
By the way...a few months back the expropiations by D'Elia seemed to be waiting to happen...nothing like that happened. Is it that many posters can't just live without a conspiracy theory or playing the victim all the time?

Sergio -- to answer your question in a non-sarcastic tone.....the only reason the current administration in Argentina is outraged by U.S. "interference" is that they got caught...plain and simple and they can't stand the fact that the U.S. government is involved since they resent us so much. I just read something on Yahoo Argentina that the U.S. - Venezuelan man involved made a visit to the casa de gobierno two days after the cash incident. Why was he there? As usual, lets blame the U.S. for Argentine corrpuption and its flaws.This is all political. I think the average person here can see it for what its worth if they have any intelligence.

I brought up the issue because an expat friend is worried that the government might react by making visas more difficult to get. Many expats are living - or even working - here on tourist visas. Residence is really tough to get here, as many know. Diplomacy involves something called reciprocity. For example, the US requires visas for US citizens so Brazil, to show its annoyance, charges Americans $100 (or is it more now?) for a tourist visa. If there is serious tension between the US and Argentina there could be a tightening up of visas, especially tourist visas. Maybe Cabernet joking is justified - or maybe not. Anything can happen in Argentina.

To work on a tourist visa is illegal and anybody doing it should know that it can have consequences. Getting a working permit here is not more difficult than getting one in the US. Talking about reciprocity, do you know that after 9/11 Argentines need a visa to enter the US? Do you know that the processing fee for a US tourist visa is not reimbursed if it is not approved?

Sergio, you wrote: Residence is really tough to get here, as many know.What is it about getting residency that is so difficult? I found a website that makes it sound problematic, but they are promoting a business service of expediting the application process. Have you heard of any anti-US sentiment that has surfaced when US citizens have applied for residency, or is it something else?

Let me advise you that just to get application forms for US visas will cost you. Asians are doling out their cash to get a chance to step inside the US.
Surprisingly, I have seen Argentinians in Mexico, working there, and trying to get inside the US by repetitious visa applications. I am not sure why Argentinians would want to get into the USA, they have is so great if they live and work in BsAs. I have seen them live in sub-standard conditions just to gather $$ to get application after application. And one time I even thought, these people would never live like this in BsAs...but I guess, the dream to enter the USA is still alive and well inside some of the portenos. Oh btw, the person that is bringing them into Mexico is an Argentinian who lives in the US but has a metal shop in Mesico. Talk about exploitation...takes it a very new alarming level. (sigh)

I was asking about US citizens having a "really tough" time getting residency in Argentina as sergio referred to in his post...I hope he will add additional information about obstacles to getting a residency visa in Argentina.

"steveinbsas" said:
We're talking about US citizens getting residency in Argentina. At least that's what sergio referred to in his post...I hope he will add additional information about obstacles to getting a residency visa in Argentina.
Getting a residency visa is a burocratic process, just like everywhere ( the US for example ) the difference is that a lot of expats prefer to stay ilegally instead of doing what they should do, for the only reason that they can get away with it, by going to Uruguay, paying the relatively cheap fine at Migrations and so on.

What I would really like to know is if anyone has experienced any anti-US feedback from Argentine migraciones and what specifically makes getting residency here "really tough" as sergio stated in his post.

Back