Dni

motoquero

Registered
Hola extranjeros,

I am new here and I looking for information on getting a DNI.

I need the DNI to register a vehicle. At the moment I live in Salta on a tourist visa.

Gracias
Motoquero

You also have to have the DNI to get a driver's license.

I'm not sure if temporary residency is sufficient or permanent residency is required.

Maybe the rules are different in Salta (?) but in the Province of Buenos Aires, you can register a vehicle with a passport.

Since Salta is close to other countries, don't forget (or be aware) that you can't exit the country with an Argentinean registered vehicle if you are here on a tourist visa (even if the vehicle is registered in your name).

You can drive a vehicle here with your foreign D/L but you'll need to keep your tourist status "clean" (no "permatourism") if you want to avoid issues with the insurance company in case you get yourself into an accident.

Could you please elaborate on what you meant by keeping the tourist status clean, not "permatourism"? I have been living in Argentina for about 6 years, but never got a DNI. Thinking of buying a car. I keep my visa status current (prorogas or go out of the country every three months) -- is that clean (although, it is, in fact, permatourism)?
Thanks

oksanache said:
Could you please elaborate on what you meant by keeping the tourist status clean, not "permatourism"? I have been living in Argentina for about 6 years, but never got a DNI. Thinking of buying a car. I keep my visa status current (prorogas or go out of the country every three months) -- is that clean (although, it is, in fact, permatourism)?
Thanks

Yop, that is clean in my view. I mentionned that because of posts by both Steve (hoping he's OK I cite him) and I about foreign D/L. In my view, in order to be fully "clean" in respect of your insurance company is if you are a tourist: Your visa needs to be valid to make valid your D/L. That's your case.

Anyway, a local Lawyer (there are plenty reading) can confirm/infirm what I said.

Important point though (Liability & making sure if someone is hurt here, this person is covered).

oksanache said:
Thanks

You are missinformated. The permatourist is an euphemism you use for irregular (illegal).

To abuse of visa or to overstaying are both illegal. So, as I always say, it is a waste of time and money to renewal the visa.

Read decreto 616.2010.

If you want to regularize, the best option is citizenship. Take a look at my website.

Residency is faster if you fullfit the requirements. Citizenship has less requirements.

Regards

Back