DNI

Stantucker is correct, it's 'do you know the way to 485 Av Jujuy' time'. If the DNI has been created and they're getting ready to send it, eventually!!, Jujuy office will be able to see it in their computer.

Well, if the DNI was produced and then returned from a failed delivery attempt, it might well be in Jujuy. However, I don't think mine has made it that far, prior experience is telling me there was a screw up, in which case might better to return to source of all the trouble at Hipolito Irigoyen.
When I said failed delivery attempt, I meant the first time they tried to deliver it. They try twice before they send it to Jujuy. They tried on a Monday. Even though I went down, they said they needed a constancia that we were never given or a copy of her precaria, which I didn't have on me. CA returned on Wednesday, took her precaria, and gave me her DNI with the incorrect sex.

Last edited:
I've been waiting my DNI for months. Trips to Immigration Bldg 6: We can't help you Trip to Center of the National Immigration: Hipolito Yrigoyen 952: Everything delayed, come back in 30 days, Multiple trips to Jujuy 468: Nothing, nothing, nothing but a slip of paper with No. Negative and ID Tramite (no indication of what to do with those), Trip to Renaper office: We only help people who have a DNI. However after seeing someone's post on FB BA Expats I got the impression there's a place to track your DNI. After calling the 'never take my call' number for Reclamos 0800-9999364 I did hear the recorded message referring me to the gob.ar website. I got to this page: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/interior/dni Which has a link o this page: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/seguir-el-estado-de-tramite-del-dni On this page there's a link to En el sitio del Correo Argentino - following that link you are taken to Correo Argentina's website tracking page, where you can Ingresá el número de trámite. Well, finally I found a use for that ID Tramite given to me at Jujuy 468, entered the number and clicked Consulta which took me to a page showing the recent history of a packet entering the system and 2 missed delivery attempts and Devuelto al Remitente - which I take to mean it was returned to somewhere and maybe it's gone to Jujuy 468. Supposedly after 2 failed delivery attempts it goes there. Vamos a ver! Forgive the pedantic description, but If you're a someone like me unable to make sense of wtf is my DNI, I think you'll appreciate these breadcrumbs.
Dear Stantucker, after 2 failed delivery attempts, the DNI is sent to the Central Registry (Av. Jujuy 468) for personal collection. By now, you should be able to go to Jujuy and finally collect it. Good luck!

Is it possible to get a DNI before you live in Argentina. My wife is an Argentine citizen. We plan to buy property there and I would like to have a bank account there. Is it possible?
Hi, as you have an Argentine Spouse, it is possible to apply for Permanent Residency at the Argentine Consulate General with jurisdiction over your home address. You will need to schedule an interview with the Consular Officer and show evidence of your marriage (Marriage Certificate duly legalized with the apostille) and that you don´t have any criminal convictions (Police Clearance Certificate corresponding to the countries where you have lived for more than 1 year over the past 3 years, i.e. FBI Police Record, duly apostilled). If everything goes well during the interview they will stamp a VISA STICKER onto your passport which says "PERMANENT RESIDENCY". Once you get that sticker, you will need to fly to Argentina to "activate" this permanent residency. Once in Argentina, all you need to do is go to the DNI Office and apply for the DNI and pay the DNI fee (AR$ 300 at the Bank Bapro). The DNI will be delivered at the address that you indicate within 30 days. It is not mandatory to stay inside of the country while you wait for the ID, so you can appoint someone to collect the ID on your behalf, and ship it to you to your country. With regards to opening a Bank Account, technically, the Bank should open the account with your Passport and the Visa Stamp, however, unless you are well connected, Banks are usually reluctant to do it that way, and they prefer to see some ID (DNI) to do the opening. Hope you find this info useful! Take care!

Dear Stantucker, after 2 failed delivery attempts, the DNI is sent to the Central Registry (Av. Jujuy 468) for personal collection. By now, you should be able to go to Jujuy and finally collect it. Good luck!
Dear Cassiopeia, just to note, in my case '2 failed delivery attempts' did take place on Correo Argentina's website tracking page but in fact there was no actual physical attempt to make the delivery to my address as far as anyone could determine!! The advantage of the Correo Argentina tracking website is that you can see when it says failed delivery attempt and the DNI is returned to the "fabricator" of DNIs. Then you can know that in 15 days or so the DNI will make it's way over to 485 Jujuy. Once you go to 485 Jujuy, show your paid receipt for the umpteenth time you visited there and they admit that they have your DNI, they will send you to 'the other room' where you can wait for the agents to assemble, finish their personal chats with each other and be called to sign off and receive your DNI.

Back