Do americans have an inferiority complex?

The author doesn't develop his title. He just states that 'many' Spanish and English speakers think they speak an inferior version of their language. I have no idea where he gets this notion. He certainly doesn't substantiate it. I don't think Americans give it any thought. Aside from a few Anglophiles, few care how English is spoken in Britain. As for Argentine ideas about the English language, there is a myth about "British" English in Argentina. A lot of Argentines, at least the ones I've met over the years, seem to think there is some monolithic pronunciation in Britain when in fact there is quite a variety of regional dialects. People in the north of Britain or Scotland sound quite different from those in the south, for example. At one time the BBC insisted on a standard form of 'Oxbridge' style English that came to be known as BBC English. That was dropped decades ago in favor of allowing an array of accents that more accurately reflect the way British people speak. To many Porteños, however, Britain is still in the 1930's if not earlier.

No insecurity complex here. That said, I have no time for snot-nosed resentniks, particularly Europeans, who see broad prejudice against people from the States as virtuous.

I would say that Americans have quite the opposite of an inferiority complex. ESPECIALLY as it relates to English.

But then again, having over 300 million people agreeing with you vs a piddly island country's little over 50 million back them up makes it easy to feel superior. Especially when said piddly country doesn't even cover the whole piddly little island. There are two other countries there sharing that small space and both of those countries seem to think that they're neighbor doesn't quite speak correctly either.

:)

Everyone know the best English is spoken in Glasgow

But then I may be biased.........

Well it's true that on an expat forum, it's not the kind of clever thread (start one about the french, the english, the germans, whatever).

If the guy who wrote the blog had lived in the UK he would know there are alot of rivers that are named around the other way.. and that the river thames is called the the thames river or just the thames.. as is the clyde etc.. It has nothing to do with british or american english..

Anyways i thing the OP is just trying to promote the blog.. maybe its his.

I always laugh when my commonwealth friends get so damn pissed about the differences in spelling and such. I personally couldn't care less, if I'm reading and I see a couple extra "u's" where they shouldn't be, I'm still going to know what the words are. The differences are so few and far between over the broad scope of the language that I can hardly see what the fuss is about.

If anything, I'd follow up with what Napoleon started into. I think that you'll find much more of an inferiority complex re:English with the English. American english is spoken natively by 320 million people, but it goes way beyond that, the domination of American culture all over the world is slowly going to bring everyone towards speaking like we do, and I think that bothers some brits. What percentage of films in US theaters are british vs the percentage of US films in UK theaters? I sometimes find my roommate from New Zealand to be completely incomprehensible due to his constat use of foreign (to me) slang, but he has only once ever misunderstood a slang term or phrase that I have used.

I do love how the blogger used two words I've heard, read, and used multiple times in the US as examples of why he likes "British English".

Back