Do americans have an inferiority complex?

I feel that we live in a diverse world and should welcome some differences. There are differences in the Spanish and French language also (depending where you are). British English is the first English but who cares. If we all lived in a world where everything was the same, then I would probably kill myself as it would be very dull indeed. Nobody should feel superior nor inferior we are all equal!

P.S.PhilipDT are you British as you used films twice rather that movies (just one of the differences).

PhilipDT said:
I always laugh when my commonwealth friends get so damn pissed about the differences in spelling and such. I personally couldn't care less, if I'm reading and I see a couple extra "u's" where they shouldn't be, I'm still going to know what the words are. The differences are so few and far between over the broad scope of the language that I can hardly see what the fuss is about.

If anything, I'd follow up with what Napoleon started into. I think that you'll find much more of an inferiority complex re:English with the English. American english is spoken natively by 320 million people, but it goes way beyond that, the domination of American culture all over the world is slowly going to bring everyone towards speaking like we do, and I think that bothers some brits. What percentage of films in US theaters are british vs the percentage of US films in UK theaters? I sometimes find my roommate from New Zealand to be completely incomprehensible due to his constat use of foreign (to me) slang, but he has only once ever misunderstood a slang term or phrase that I have used.

I do love how the blogger used two words I've heard, read, and used multiple times in the US as examples of why he likes "British English".

The best english is spoken by immigrants offspring . I grew up in Australia and know that the well educated migrant speak in a clear manner without the twang that Australia is famous for,

The Australian accent from the uneducated classes can be appalling with a inflection on the last syllable like asking a question. I find the current prime minister speaks a terrible english and for this reason I turn off when I see her on Television.

In Buenos Aires there are some beautiful voices and I have to say I find Christina Fernadez Kirchner a excellent speaker with a great usage of the language and its nuances. I have been very impressed with her speeches that are without scripts and with depth that is rarely seen with any other world leader.

Not to commit virtual harakiri on a forum so populated with expats coming from the US, but if the Americans have an inferiority complex, I for one would really love to see it :D
As for the absolute language, I wonder why people wonder. Europe has plenty examples and usually such arguments end with none the wiser. I truly wish I could understand people who speak of the "real" English (make it French, German or Spanish, if you will). Words are not a purpose per se, but a reflection of a culture, mentality, history. Whoever says their language is not "the real thing" (as that blogger allegedly heard Argentines talk about their version of castellano), should reconsider how much of their own identity they're rejecting. And vice versa: I don't see why American English would be the real deal because of the 215 million native speakers (according to the 2000 census). Figures and statistics do not reshape or define a language in such a way - or else the same demographics would place Canada over Australia and Ireland over New Zealand. Although I've never witnessed such a language argument between an Irish and a New Zealander :p
Languages evolve and change as people evolve and change. Some may bitch about English differences (from British to American to Canadian to Australian), but I quite enjoy them. It certainly makes things less dull :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of an English language school in BA that doesn't teach US English?

Steve,there must be. My partner speaks British English,although he learned it at school. I would hazard a guess that a normal language school instead of one that promises results and business success in 6 weeks would be the kind of school that teaches Brit English. A lot of English schools here in Mexico are trying to make the connection of "speak English our way and be as successful as your neighbours up north"
Personally I don't see the inferiority complex the author describes. I think only travellers are aware of differences . The majority of people just speak what they speak. I made some friends online, the girls had barely left their own state and when we talked on Skype the first thing they said was "you have an accent " (Brit English) I said ,no that they did . They had never considered that before. English is a very insular language,if you pardon the pun.

Back