Do Not Rent from this guy!

Sincerely (just my 2 cents), you entered into a situation based on mutual trust. After a month, you gave him a two weeks notice. The guy doesn't seem like he's trying to sc**w you (offering half of the deposit back).

You decided to move out because you found a better place, rent is 380us$ (1500$ = it's quite an usual rate if you ask me).

Even if the room was vacant for just 3 days after you left, it doesn't seem that abnormal to me that you give him a little compensation (2 weeks, or those 3 days the room was vacant... or 1 week ?).

Take into account he offered you to give back half of the deposit + the fact he doesn't seem to be that much of a bad guy (he's just defending a bit his interests, like you are). Check the other thread for what is a true horror story.

In such a situation, if both parties make an effort, it's better for everybody (take the 2 weeks deposit, shake hands and chau).

But that's just my opinion

I wish that was the case...I would gladly take the 2 weeks back at this point. I even told him we could talk about me paying for the 3 days the room was empty. I was, and am, fully willing to discuss with him.

The situation is, he's not giving me ANYTHING back. After he offered the 2 weeks, he immediately rescinded the offer. He told me to my face, he was keeping my deposit, because he felt like doing that, nothing else. That was the point where my good feelings and the trust I had that he would do the right thing, went out the window.

Back