Do not ship anything to Argentina!

Aloha Boy

Registered
Wow. I just recently witness the most blatant government corruption at the airport. My $500 phone was stolen right out of my small package and retaped with Customs "Terminal de Cargas Argentina" blue tape. The box was 2lbs when it was weighted and documented by FEDEX and sealed by my daughter from the Bay area in California. Suddenly, it only weight 1lb at the Cargo Customs office at the airport, and the box was opened and resealed. They refused to give me any documentation so that I can formally report it stolen to FEDEX to collect the insurance money. Oh, there was a FEDEX office there next to Customs, but they only gave me a reclamation email and number to follow up with. Didn't bother to help me with any paperwork either. It's as if they know this corruption happens frequently. And they were supposed to have it delivered to their local office in downtown Buenos Aires for me to pick up. So I'm out of $500 for the phone, $200 for FEDEX shipping, $80 for 2 trip to the airport, and $60 for the legal bribe to customs to pick up my package from them (under the disguise as warehouse storage fees, of a 2lb small box for 3 days).

Sadly, you learned the hard way as most of us know that (shipping to Argentina) is a no-no. Having been in a similar situation (although not as financially damaging), I feel for you.

Sadly, you learned the hard way as most of us know that (shipping to Argentina) is a no-no. Having been in a similar situation (although not as financially damaging), I feel for you.
Well, I try my best to start off on a trusting note in a new country, especially with an "established" international company like FEDEX with HQ in the US. Lessons learned. Just wanted to warn others out there so they don't get screwed over by local corruption.

Well, I try my best to start off on a trusting note in a new country, especially with an "established" international company like FEDEX with HQ in the US. Lessons learned. Just wanted to warn others out there so they don't get screwed over by local corruption.
what was left in the box?

I certainly do understand that just about all stevedores and longshore businesses in ALL countries are connected to crime organizations. They usually steal from large containers with large quantities that is hard to track. But I thought my small package coming through FEDEX airfreight would be more secure. Now I know better...

Back