Do not ship anything to Argentina!

Someone suggested you wear a gold Rolex when when out and about? Sounds like good advice to me. Take full responsibility, not one person on here would have told you to do what you did.

Dude, take a step back. I posted my experience to share with others so that they reconsider shipping something valuable here and possibly losing it to Customs theft. Who said I wasn't taking full responsibility for my initial trust in their system? I'm working it out with FEDEX now. And who said I blamed anyone on this site for giving me bad advice SPECIFICALLY about not shipping expensive items here??? Your comment is contradicting and doesn't make sense. Learn some adult level English composition and grammar before you insult me.

In my view, yes. I'm dealing with them now. The FEDEX guys at the airport didn't do anything but give me a phone number to call. No forms to fill out, no documentations for me to acknowledge that it was stolen so I can use for processing with their claims/insurance department. And that phone number gave me an automatic message in Spanish and then a disconnect. (Sorry, but my Spanish is not up to speed yet after a month here.)
If you bought the phone with a credit card it may be covered by the issuing bank. I know VISA and MasterCard have insurance against theft. May be worth trying it.

First lesson of Argentina...

Never trust anything in Argentina

I'll assume you're just telling me to be more cautious. I agree. But making new friends and NOT putting trust in them for certain things is just not my way of going through life. Just too pessimistic.

www.tiendamia.com/ar no issues with this when I was there.

But sadly they are thieves at customs that is for sure. And they are going to even worse again now that the Ksters are back that is for sure as well.

If you bought the phone with a credit card it may be covered by the issuing bank. I know VISA and MasterCard have insurance against theft. May be worth trying it.

Thank you, OTB, for your thoughts and advice. Unfortunately, they were 2 separate transactions. I purchased the phone from Amazon and had it shipped to my daughter in the US. She, in turn, followed my instruction to used FEDEX to ship it to me. Being a business owner, I can't imagine FEDEX still doing business if corruption was that bad here. Wouldn't make sense for them to be unprofitable and have bad word of mouth spread around. Hence, my trust in their system.

Why so sarcastic? What is wrong with you? Can't you empathize with Aloha's loss?
Yes I can, but not the part where he hints at bad advice from the forum for not asking the forum. Why so sarcastic? Reading posts like yours. What's wrong with me? I wouldn't know where to start.

Dude, take a step back. I posted my experience to share with others so that they reconsider shipping something valuable here and possibly losing it to Customs theft. Who said I wasn't taking full responsibility for my initial trust in their system? I'm working it out with FEDEX now. And who said I blamed anyone on this site for giving me bad advice SPECIFICALLY about not shipping expensive items here??? Your comment is contradicting and doesn't make sense. Learn some adult level English composition and grammar before you insult me.
Did you mean to say "Your comment is (contradictory)" ? My intent was not to insult, but rather to point out what I didn't like about your original post. I have a few negative Aduana experiences myself. I know look back at them as comedy.The great thing about this country is it's less competitive and shmoozier. I've learned to enjoy my friends more than a trip to Costco.

Last edited:
If you bought the phone with a credit card it may be covered by the issuing bank.

True, but this coverage is usually limited to a parcel sent by merchant directly to you. Not covering some subsequent theft.

Topic-starter mentioned that a parcel with phone has been sent by his daughter as a private shipment. Not by merchant-seller.

True, but this coverage is usually limited to a parcel sent by merchant directly to you. Not covering some subsequent theft.

Topic-starter mentioned that a parcel with phone has been sent by his daughter as a private shipment. Not by merchant-seller.

Perhaps it depends on each individual bank. My daughter lost a bag during a flight to El Calafate, and her stuff was covered. Even things we had bought almost a year ago. However, VISA would only pay for exact replacements - no money compensation.

Yes I can, but not the part where he hints at bad advice from the forum for not asking the forum. Why so sarcastic? Reading posts like yours. What's wrong with me? I wouldn't know where to start.

Something must have gone be seriously bad in your life, dude. My sincere condolences, and my best wishes for a quick recovery. Life is too uncertain to waste time being angry.

Back