Documentation For Baby

sivan

Registered
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with info on how to obtain the following documentation for my soon to be born baby.

Birth certificate
Passport
Permiso de viajar
DNI

Thanks!!

Hi Sivan, congratulations on your impending arrival!
Some hospitals will do the birth certificate for you, but only if you have a marriage libreta and if the name is on the list of names. Otherwise you need to make an appt at your local registro civil http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/areas/registrocivil/ click on the turnos link. One of the parents needs to go along with the baby, taking the medical slip the hospital gave you with the birth details. You will need your DNI too. Ask for several extra certified copies, they are useful to have. If the name isn't on the list, it's more complicated.
For the passport, make an appt, you get the DNI done at the same time, apply for a turno here http://turnos.mininterior.gov.ar/turnosWeb/
It used to be that for a baby it had to be done only at Paseo Colon because of the special baby fingerprint equipment, maybe it's changed. You will need to take your DNI for that too and the birth certificate plus, I think, a copy.
I don't know about the permiso de viajar, I understand an escribano will do it for you. Best of luck!

Yes, an escribano will do the necessary for he travel document, but both parents will need to be present when requesting it. It will cost around 900 pesos.
Congrats on the new arrival soon!

Thanks so much for the info!! One more question - was just wondering how long the paperwork takes? My last tramite - getting my DNI back in 2006/7 took NINE months but it does seem that things have gotten a little speedier since then!

I just did the passport/dni and it was only 15 working days till delivery by OCA to your house. The express version was something like 48 hrs but I think 900 pesos instead of 400.

As for timing, the registro civil often has a one month wait for appointments to register baby's birth. If you are in a hurry, you should start booking an appointment a few weeks before baby's birth.

Back