Does China own 10% of Argentina?

There was an article that came out recently about how Patagonia is mostly foreign-owned, but they were emphasizing land owned by North Americans mostly. I can't site the article as it was related to me by someone who read it and couldn't find it when I went out, but I feel like it was a Clarin article, maybe last Saturday? The guy telling me about it didn't mention anything about Chinese people, but that doesn't mean anything, really.

Speaking of Chinese, I have been noticing an increase in the quality of some clothes shops' merchandise lately, only to find these products are Made in China! It always gives me a chuckle, since I would rarely think things from China would be "good quality," but next to Industria Argentina as far as clothes are concerned...

I met a guy who has a coat-making factory in Mar Del Plata a bit ago, and he informed me how things that come in from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan/Korea ("China, etc." as he says) aren't subject to any importation taxes, nor to sales taxes***. It's no wonder they can sell for so cheap all that stuff in Barrio Chino. I haven't looked into it further, but it doesn't seem unreasonable. Actually, it might be something for people to look into who want to bring things to Argentina... Maybe if you go through China you can finally get things in cheap and easy. ;)

Speaking of Chinese, I have been noticing an increase in the quality of some clothes shops' merchandise lately, only to find these products are Made in China! It always gives me a chuckle, since I would rarely think things from China would be "good quality," but next to Industria Argentina as far as clothes are concerned...

This is the comment of the decade! As I've commented before I cannot believe the price:quality ratio of local goods from clothes to toys. Today was a red letter day: my 7 year old son received his roller blades back after 3 months being repaired..we had bought them and used them for less than 2 hours in February when one of the screws fell out. We have spent the last 3 months arguing with the shop over a refund, fixing etc with them telling us we should have found the missing screw...(we were in Parque Palermo at the time which isnt a small area to cover!)..2 points for customer service and 0 points for quality. The guarantee lasts a year..so 9 more months left to see if they break again...at 500 pesos it was hardly a low cost purchase. Prices increase but quality of local goods does not.

tez said:
... Made in China! It always gives me a chuckle, since I would rarely think things from China would be "good quality," but next to Industria Argentina as far as clothes are concerned...
As a matter of fact, Pampero (Industria Argentina) makes some excellent cotton casual wear actually hecho en Argentina.

Having some experience with Argentino quality, I first bought one pair of trousers after very close inspection. Now I have three pairs
First pair AR$ 65 six months ago, second pair 69 five months and two weeks ago and last week 105.

I am always pleased as Punch, when I find good quality hecho en Argentina, tells me that some Argentinos can when they try and know how to use quality assurance.

Back