Does customer Care exist here

The OP asked for "Positive stories" not the knocking ones that appear on this site all the time. It's easy to try and compare the food industry in the US, and the reason why workers waiting on/bartending, work hard to get heir tips, but that isn't really the point. It's like comparing apples and oranges, they may be fruits, but are very different.

I've been living here some 7 months now, and generally I have had pretty good service everywhere I have been. Maybe it helps living outside of Capital Federal, maybe they take pity on me for my (still)appalling Spanish, but here are some examples....

I buy the Buenos Aires Herald whenever I get the chance when in Avellaneda Centre. I don't go into town every day, maybe only twice a week, but when I walk up to the kiosk, I am greeeted with a friendly "Hello", and the Herald is whipped out for me from under the counter where the seller has been saving it, in case the gringo comes along. A couple fo times when I have handed him 2 x 2 peso notes for the paper (It costs 2.50), he has given me one of the 2's back as he is short of change. The next day I tried to give him 3 for the paper and to give him the extra 50 cents that he let me off the previous day, he gave me back the coin back, and told me not to worry about it :)....

There is a restaurant we go to maybe once every two weeks, here in Avellaneda. The staff know my limited Spanish, and always make a point of greeting me as a long lost friend, and more often than not, at the end of the meal, a glass of lemoncello arrives to say thank you - and again, like was said by someone else, we don't spend a fortune there by any means, just being friendly.

I recently needed to see a dentist as a crown broke on me. I managed to get an appointment the same day I called, she made a temporary fix that day, and had me back the next day for x-rays, molds etc, to make a replacement. The whole process took four days, and cost very little, and each day I am greeted by the receptionist with the normal Argentine kiss on cheek, and a smiling welcome.

I could go on, but I think it depends on what you are used to, and what your expectations may be. Maybe it's because I am used to the more arrogant/less service culture of the UK , rather than the "Have a Nice Day" US Culture of servitude, but in general I have found the local service accomodating. Having said that, I do agree about the Post Office, there must be a better way to simply buy stamps and post some letters, than waiting for ever in a line!

I have found the best customer service to be found at the local places and(kioskos, restaurants, flower shops, etc) and it is great.

As someone mentioned, once you become a regular at a place, they take care of you. I have forgotten my wallet more than once at my local cafe and been told, "Don't worry, pay us tomorrow". Same when they don't have change for a 100 peso note. My flower guy always tells me which ones are the best and freshest and my fruit guy tells me sometimes not to buy something and to come back tomorrow. My waiter usually greats me with a joke, a smile, a kiss on the cheek and is happy to chat. When I had to have emergency dental surgery, the dentist - true story - held my hand, let me cry and wiped my face and sang to me during it so I wouldn't have to hear the drill. He also called me at home 2x to make sure I was recovering okay and also wrote down the names of some tango songs for me to listen to so that I would improve my Spanish. When I go to my hair salon, they always fit me in (I always show up without an appt) and when I see the staff on the street, they always say hi, ask me how I'm doing, give me a kiss, etc.

As someone here posted a while back - personal relationships are everything. Developing ones with the people you interact with regularly makes all the difference.

On the opposite side - big institutions - banks, cable companies, utilities, etc have the worst service. But that's fairly true world-wide. Here they just take it to a new level;)

citygirl said:
I have found the best customer service to be found at the local places and(kioskos, restaurants, flower shops, etc) and it is great.

As someone mentioned, once you become a regular at a place, they take care of you. I have forgotten my wallet more than once at my local cafe and been told, "Don't worry, pay us tomorrow". Same when they don't have change for a 100 peso note. My flower guy always tells me which ones are the best and freshest and my fruit guy tells me sometimes not to buy something and to come back tomorrow. My waiter usually greats me with a joke, a smile, a kiss on the cheek and is happy to chat. When I had to have emergency dental surgery, the dentist - true story - held my hand, let me cry and wiped my face and sang to me during it so I wouldn't have to hear the drill. He also called me at home 2x to make sure I was recovering okay and also wrote down the names of some tango songs for me to listen to so that I would improve my Spanish. When I go to my hair salon, they always fit me in (I always show up without an appt) and when I see the staff on the street, they always say hi, ask me how I'm doing, give me a kiss, etc.

As someone here posted a while back - personal relationships are everything. Developing ones with the people you interact with regularly makes all the difference.

On the opposite side - big institutions - banks, cable companies, utilities, etc have the worst service. But that's fairly true world-wide. Here they just take it to a new level;)

This is what I was talking about, obviously go to a supermarket where some kid is on minimum wage and you will get crap service, but people in small businesses up and down the city will go out of their way to help.
The glass man I mentioned even offered to lend me his drill, thinking I did not have one. He only met me yesterday and did not even know where I lived.

To my parents Buenos Aires is like UK in the 60`s in terms of personal and attentive service in restaurants and local shops. Half of their age, I can only agree at how nice it is to be known in my barrio, get freebies for doing nothing more than shop at a place regularly and feel proud to show in return through small gifts at Christmas, a friendly chat etc that we foreigners are equally calidos as the very friendly locals.
What is truly appalling service is the disinterested adolescent in any supermarket, Palermo bar or shopping...but I´m finding their general apathy and snottiness is a global phenomenon (or I´m just getting old...). Either way poor service never figures on my list of Argentina`s gripes and thanks to the original oster for sharing a positive vibe!

Ries said:
My neighborhood maxi kiosk will sometimes round down the price, especially during the moneda shortage. Cabdrivers do it all the time. I have travelled to 5 continents, and a good 2 dozen countries- and nowhere else have I had shop owners or cabdrivers round DOWN.

They do it because it's the law. In other words, they rather round down than spend time carrying around change.

bradlyhale said:
On the subject of airlines, U.S. airlines are absolutely horrible. In a recent article I read, not one U.S. airline made the list for best customer satisfaction. United Airlines charges people $200 for bags that are over 50 pounds! Then they have the audacity to tell you that you get two bags "free" -- please, so my ticket price only pays for the jet fuel? What kind of customer service is THAT?

Off topic but I avoid all American carriers,absolutely the worst airlines I have ever flown are all American....Ive flown Chinese,Korean,Philippine,Vietnamese,Thai,Taiwanese,Malaysian,Mexican,Brasilian...they all blow American carriers away

citygirl said:

No truer words have been spoken!

Here goes the big theory:

Argentines (at least in Buenos Aires and two other cities I know) don't often smile/say hello to/acknowledge people they don't know. (One exception to this rule: they will often take the time to greet/help out foreigners.) So, my theory is that waiters, clerks and others who appear to have dour faces are adhering to cultural norms that play out in other aspects of daily life and which people apparently also consider accpetable even from the help at restaurants or stores.

Here in Argentina everything is PERSONAL. To get good service, you have to build a personal relationship with your car mechanic, butcher, electrician, etc. Once you do that, service is better than in the US.

Institutions don't work here, but personal relations do.

Sara

Back