does overstaying tourist visa affect chances work visa?

Those prices were in pesos, but were for last year.

I'm about to renew, and am going to try again to get DNI sorted. Company are going to use someone different this time, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has gotten a work visa without having a company to assist them? I am trying to find work, but have found that many places want at least a temporary work visa. The process looks very long and difficult without having a company to support you. Does anybody have any advice on this?

I'm a little confused but do you mean doing all of the legwork on your own? If so, I have. If you mean getting a work visa without being sponsored by a company, I don't think you can do that. A labor contract is a requirement to get a work visa which would necessitate a hiring company to be involved.

I think it's very easy for some to be confused here. First of all, there is a difference between a visa and a DNI. You have to receive a visa prior to applying for the DNI and the latter is done at the Registro Civil, not migraciones. In order to gt a work visa, you have to be sponsored by a company that is licensed to do business in Argentina, and the "work" itself must be "approved" for foreigners to perform. You can't just apply for a work visa and then go job hunting.

When jp wrote the following he/she was referring to the visa application process, but there is a contradiction with the next post.

jp said:
My application got rushed through, and I got given a price list for how quickly I could get a DNI. Given that the actual work involved someone accompanying me to migraciones and telling someone to stamp a document, I'm a little dubious on how legit the fast tracking was.

And then:

jp said:
It was pretty much done on the day, there was a lot of faffing, nothing got done for weeks and then on the day my temporary visa was going to expire we just waltzed to the front of the queue and had everything done there and then.

If nothing got done for weeks how could it have been rushed through? Is it possible that your gestor didn't do anything for weeks (as opposed to migraciones)? I can confirm from experience that the "gestors" often appear with stacks of passports (without the presence of their clients) and are given priority over individual foreigners waiting their turn at migraciones (at least at the perogrogas de permanencia).

When you go to migraciones (when first applying for a visa) don't they still they review your papers on the spot? If everything is in order you will be told when to return to receive the residency precaria (with a few weeks). Your "visa" is just a single sheet of paper which you will then take to the registro civil to apply for the DNI.

The following are "prices" for the DNI?

jp said:
From memory the price list was 1200 for 2 week turnaround, 600 for a month and 300 for 3 months. Failing that you just waited for the system to give you your DNI, which seemed to involve about a year wait. Not sure what happened over the last year though, I think the system changed in terms of what strings can be pulled.

I'm not saying this can't or doesn't happen, but I have never read a post by someone who actually "claims" to have (directly) paid more than the required fees at migraciones, and I was never asked for any kind of "propina" at migraciones or the regitsro. Perhaps the gestors make these "alleged" payments, but it also might be that they simply pocket the money themselves.

jp said:
There's some murky goings on in migraciones, some of it is just greasing the wheels but there's an uglier side to other people's stories.

I don't recall any "stories" in this forum that support this. Can any forum members confirm this from their own personal experience?

To clarify, nothing got done for weeks, and the people handling my case failed to get back to emails or calls. Nothing got done. The day it got done, they took all my documents, marched to the front of the queue and got everything done on the spot. I was then given a number to call for an expedited DNI and a price list listing various payment options to get it done quicker.

As for murky stories, I wasn't referring to anything I've read here. I have a close friend who had a horrible experience, but I'm not going into details on a public forum. Just saying it does happen and people should be mindful that the system is less than squeaky clean or transparent.

jp said:
To clarify, nothing got done for weeks, and the people handling my case failed to get back to emails or calls. Nothing got done. The day it got done, they took all my documents, marched to the front of the queue and got everything done on the spot. I was then given a number to call for an expedited DNI and a price list listing various payment options to get it done quicker.

As for murky stories, I wasn't referring to anything I've read here. I have a close friend who had a horrible experience, but I'm not going into details on a public forum. Just saying it does happen and people should be mindful that the system is less than squeaky clean or transparent.

Thanks, jp. It would still be helpful to know (without revealing any personal details) what constitutes a "horrible" experience at migraciones. Were there threats of deportation...or worse...or requests for large amounts of money? This may be a "public" (not really) forum, but we do have anonymity with our user names (don't we?). Can you at least tell us if the payment for the expedited DNI was made at the registro or to an intermediary (who also then processed you application?)?

Without getting too detailed it was a completely unjustified threat of immediate deportation, for someone who had a life, attachments and commitments here.

I never did get the DNI, but my understanding was that the payment would be made to an intermediary.

selena said:
...I'm currently in Buenos Aires on a tourist visa, ... If I overstay my tourist visa for a few months, leave for my own country and apply for a workvisa from there, does anybody know if the having overstayed a tourist visa will affect my changes of getting a work visa? Selena
Deary me, why overstay your visa at all?

In BsAs
1. Take taxi to Terminal Fluvial where you'll find BuqueBus http://www.buquebus.com/cache/HomeARG.html
2. Buy return ticket to Buque Rapido (i.e. Patricia Olivia II) to Colónia 08:30 - check time using link (do not go by Eladia Isabel, she is soooo slow). That will set you back some AR$ 280 on weekdays (taxes included), less if there is a promoción.
3. Board.
4. Get off 1 hour and 15 minutes later.
5. Board again in Colónia (don't recall the hour).
6. Get off 1 hour and 15 minutes later.
7. Get new tourist visa.

Back