Dog shipping service told me dog needs to be crated 10 hours in Ezeiza before 9 hour flight to Miami

Fiscal

Registered
I am flying to Miami via American and called them about shipping my dog. They told me to call a specific business to manage the shipping, $3000. I pay these guys and then, just before the flight, they are telling me, "Oh by the way, bring the dog ten hours early to Ezeiza, and she needs to be crated the entire time." And I ask, "You mean, crated 10 hours at Ezeiza in addition to the 9 hours on the flight?" And they are like "yup." I asked, "no one is going to take her out of the crate to walk her or let her do her business at Ezeiza for ten hours? "Nope."

Is this normal? 10 hours crated just in Ezeiza?

I would not trust my dog to a shipping company. She flew with me as an extra piece of luggage. It is easy: check the crate in two hours before boarding time, ask the counter people to keep it there, and go outside with the dog until it is time to board. Only then check the dog in. I've done it many times, and it works out fine.

A piece of your unwashed clothing in the crate - pyjamas or T shirt - reassures the dog during the flight, as it is a familiar smell.

Take the dog with you as a piece of extra luggage. Check the crate in two hours before boarding time, ask the counter people to keep the crate there, and go outside with the dog until it is time to board. Only then check the dog in. I've done it many times, and it works out fine.

A piece of your unwashed clothing in the crate - pyjamas or T shirt - reassures the dog, as it is a familiar smell.
You’ve done this at Ezeiza? I called American Airlines in the US and then emailed to confirm. They told I had to retain this company.

I've done it in Ezeiza, Washington Dulles, Denver, and Miami. If the crate is very large they may charge twice, one for extra piece and another for oversize, but it is still worth it to make sure that the dog is in the same plane with you.

Perhaps call AA again - in my experience, different airline employees often say widely different things.

I just got off the phone with American. They said I had to use the agency they recommended. But that the requirement was 4 hours before the flight not ten hours. So what’s the deal with this agency?

I'm happy I don't have pets. The costs associated with them can be ridiculous at times.

Back