Dog shipping service told me dog needs to be crated 10 hours in Ezeiza before 9 hour flight to Miami

It looks like AA no longer accepts pets as checked pets on flights:

"We only accept checked pets at the ticket counter for active-duty U.S. Military and U.S. State Department Foreign Service personnel traveling on official orders. Fees and restrictions apply."

I would not trust my dog to a shipping company. She flew with me as an extra piece of luggage. It is easy: check the crate in two hours before boarding time, ask the counter people to keep it there, and go outside with the dog until it is time to board. Only then check the dog in. I've done it many times, and it works out fine.

A piece of your unwashed clothing in the crate - pyjamas or T shirt - reassures the dog during the flight, as it is a familiar smell.

I did the exact same thing with my dog using Delta and LAN (back in the day). No problems at all. We showed up about three hours before the flight, and they took our dog out during the layover. I'd be tempted not to fly American just for this reason. My dog had no problems.

I did the exact same thing with my dog using Delta and LAN (back in the day). No problems at all. We showed up about three hours before the flight, and they took our dog out during the layover. I'd be tempted not to fly American just for this reason. My dog had no problems.
I did the same but with United, I trusted them more than a shipping company. The weather was warm both when he was leaving Florida and on a stopover in Houston but they took excellent care of him.
Either way, you should research preparations for shipping, like punching extra air holes in the crate, leaving ice in the water bowl, using an oversized crate so he can turn around.
You should also familiarize yourself with what's required to pick up the dog at MIA. I see lots of dogs travelling when I'm there, so it's probably not a big deal. But it's better to know what documents, cash, etc you'll need.

So if you just check the dog in as luggage then you're just paying the regular price for extra luggage or is it still an outrageous price?

So if you just check the dog in as luggage then you're just paying the regular price for extra luggage or is it still an outrageous price?

It sounds odd, but you actually check them as cargo. I believe we paid about $125 each way for our dog. We had an extra large crate so she had plenty of room to move around. If you have a large crate (or even in general), you will need to call the airline and confirm that their cargo hold and door can accommodate the size of your crate. I would confirm a week or so before the flight in case they change flight equipment.

It sounds odd, but you actually check them as cargo. I believe we paid about $125 each way for our dog. We had an extra large crate so she had plenty of room to move around. If you have a large crate (or even in general), you will need to call the airline and confirm that their cargo hold and door can accommodate the size of your crate. I would confirm a week or so before the flight in case they change flight equipment.
Sounds much better than paying 3k to a shipping company.

Has anybody traveled recently (after lockdown) with a checked pet to or from the US?
I have checked the websites from United, AA, and Delta and none seems to accept checked pets on south america flights.

Dog landed at 6am but aerolíneas argentina wouldn’t let the dog out of cargo without paperwork, which we couldn’t get until aerolíneas opened at 9. Dog finally out of the crate at 11am. So about 20 hours in total in the crate. Now my turn to fly to Miami.

glad to hear it made it!

you leaving this place for good fiscal?

Back