Dogs shipped to DFW from BA

bobsnowpuppy

Registered
I thought I would write about my experience of shipping my dogs in the luggage compartment from Ezeiza to Dallas Fort Worth last week.

I used American Airlines and everything went great! My vet completed the examination of my dogs and noted that they had current rabies vaccines and were free from any parasites including screwworm. This was done 2 days before I traveled, as the United States requires the certificate be completed no more than five days before travel.

I paid a courier 500 pesos per dog to take the paperwork to SENASA and return it to my vet same day. At the American Airlines check-in counter, the rep was super helpful and patient in checking my dogs in. He looked at the paperwork and put stickers on as well as taped an American Airlines checklist to the kennels. Then the kennels were put through a screening machine, without the dogs. The dogs were then returned to the kennels and zip locked in. I next saw the dogs at the oversize baggage area in Dallas Fort Worth and they were just fine. We then proceeded to the section for the US agricultural inspection where they checked the dogs in the kennels and my paperwork, asked me a few questions and then released us.

I couldn’t have asked for a better experience. American Airlines was great.

That's a great relief. I am so paranoid about doing this. What courier service did you use? How did your dogs eat / go to the bathroom during the trip?

The courier was a local guy referred to my vet by the courier who transports her lab work everyday. It was an 11 hour nonstop flight so no occasion for feeding although I did tape food to the top of the kennels for emergencies. I put diapers on the dogs although miraculously they did not pee.

Did you have to notify the airline you were bringing them in advance or did you just show up with them . I am planning to take 3 cats back to the states and I have been researching different airlines and they all seem to have different rules on how many pet crates are allowed on a flight

Did you have to notify the airline you were bringing them in advance or did you just show up with them . I am planning to take 3 cats back to the states and I have been researching different airlines and they all seem to have different rules on how many pet crates are allowed on a flight

did you bring the cats here from the US?

did you bring the cats here from the US?
Delta only lets you put them below the seat in front of you. We brought our two in softsided carriers from Atlanta with Delta and had no problems.

I brought 2 cats down on Aerolineas Argentina and there was a big problem as they said they needed 2 days notice. I have seen on there website they only take 4 kennels on a flight and on American Airlines 7 kennels per flight . I cant find information on the United Airlines site so I will have to call them. I was able to bring the cats after an hour of pleading from my Argentine wife. She can be very persistent

Put post in wrong place. Look in "Suggestions on mailing letters to Argentina."

You definitely need to notify them. With dogs in the cargo hold, they need to know the measurements of your crate and the weight with your dog in it. Some large crates don’t fit in certain planes and there is a limit to the number of dogs allowed. I would notify them far in advance and confirm. It was the most stressful part of our trip, but all went well.

When I made the reservation I asked the agent on the phone to make a note in my record that I was bringing two checked dogs. Then a week before the flight I called the airline again and asked that they check my record to be sure that there was a note of two checked dogs coming with me. Then on the day before my flight I called the airline again etc. etc.

It’s true that only a certain number of crated animals are allowed as checked bags. Usually it’s not a problem but you never know. There is however a limit of one or two in the cabin and I don’t think American Airlines allows any cats in the cabin, but you should check this.

Back