Doing business in Argentina - Our quest to manufacture leather bags here!

I really love the designs, especially the weekend bag. Yet I'm too old for anything not on rollers so I'm guessing your customers will skew young.

As someone also in business here, I think you're challenges will come when you're into serious production and need to form an Argentine company, deal with Argentine labor laws and pay Argentine taxes. It us uniquely difficult to do business here in many ways. Yet there's a lot of talent. Good luck!

hey steve - yes the prices are in USD - $75 is the rpr if you go to the kickstarter though it's selling for between $30-45.

This post really wasn't intended to look for buyers though....more just to say thank you to all those who have helped us get this far and to see what other expats are doing.

JB5 - I think you're definitely right. I read of a girl from new york who came out a few years ago and tried to set up her own workshops to produce for export which I don't think went very well. If we get to that stage I think we would do it with an argentinean partner.

I had a business in Buenos Aires for about 3 years, and my advice is the best thing you can do, and you seem to be doing it already is to go the wholesale route, and keep away from the retail side of the business. Having a storefront in Argentina, (especially in Buenos Aires) in only an invitation to every corrupt entity in city government to make your life as miserable and difficult as possible. As well as being a security issue.

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=pHE036JWNf8

Agree with David on that, but I'll still keep my PC shop going or I'd go stark staring mad!
Second anniversary next month and we've only been done at gunpoint twice.
My brother and I have been in the leather goods business since 2006, albeit my role was purely as a link due to the language and that I live here.
He designs the bags and belts (for export to UK) and we have a Talabarteria that makes them. Good people they are too.
Exporting is a process but the lads have a good despachante.
Bro sometimes uses Fedex (maxUSD1000) if it's urgent.
Hats off to anyone who does the actual manufacturing and all that goes with it!

guys - thanks so much for those of you who have pledged on our project. The support really means a lot and we really can't wait to give you your stuff :)

Gringoboy - what the name of your brothers company? It would be great to get in touch with him to see how he handles his exporting and some of the intricacies of dealing with tallers/talabarterias.

Back