Dollar Exchange

Olivia.G

Registered
Hi all,
I'm travelling to Argentina from Ecuador tomorrow and was wondering if it is better to bring US dollars with me to exchange or to draw money from atms there (I have a south african bank account). Have also read that no atm fees are charged if you draw from a credit card? Any advice on the cheapest way would be most welcome!!

The cuevas are still thriving, but will probably only accept 100s. If they do accept 20s, which is what Ecuadorian ATMs give out (as they do in most US ATMs too), they'll be discounted - my guess is they'd give you 15-15.50 or so. I imagine in Ecuador it will be hard for you to find 100s anywhere...

The bills should be pristine, too. No markings, no tears, etc.

ATM fees are high here. $6.00 per transaction, plus any fees that your bank in South Africa might impose. As far as using your credit card to withdraw funds from an ATM, you will certainly be charged $6.00, and you'll probably incur other fees as well, unless those are explicitly waived by your bank. In the U.S., people are typically charged an additional ATM fee for using an out-of-network machine, plus an immediate (i.e. no grace period) APR of ~30%.

Bradly is right .Only USD 100 bills and no markings
.I have been using my cueva for years and the one time I had to give them $50s and $20s,they put on a really long face before they finally took them.

Recently exchanged, they did accept a 20, and a 1 dollar with the 100, without any hazzle. at16.3 mby 16.4 which was the highest we could find a couple of weeks ago. recently up to 16.7...

My cueva offered 16 pesos per dollar today - sucks not being in Buenos Aires and getting better rates like above. His excuse is demand is lower in this part of Argentina. Maybe I will have to haggle with him next time.

Back