Dragonflies

Jeanne Davis

Registered
Anyone know anything about all the dragonflies in town these days? I confess I haven't googled the critters, but I've been here previous Decembers and never seen any at all (or at least not in the current numbers). Maybe they're like locusts and only appear every x-number of years?

It could be becuase of a higher amount of mosquitos in the city this year. We had one fly into our livingroom yesterday. It was HUGE. They are actually really good for the environment - eating pests.

Here in Argentina, they are known as "Libèlula(s)" LEE-BELL-OOH-LAH(S). I have seen them every year for the past 7 summers, but I do agree that this year there are more than other years. I would say it's most likely due to all of the rain. I used to see them in New York however it would always be outside of the city or maybe every now and then in central park. I think people really like there dragonflies here though, have you noticed that a lot of women's costume jewelry and accessories are made with the Libelula design? I see necklaces, earrings, t-shirts printed, etc.

Here, 40 km North of BA, there are thousands this year. It's indeed due to the rain.

Lovely to watch

I was just thinking about them this morning while I was out in the balcony. So many of them. They eat mosquito larvae, which is good. And they become fodder for the birds.
So everybody wins on this one.

I was just thinking about them this morning while I was out in the balcony. So many of them. They eat mosquito larvae, which is good. And they become fodder for the birds.
So everybody wins on this one.

And more! My cats just love them and practice their hunting skills on them (which is easier to cope with than when they bring birds inside). Mostly the dragonflies aren't harmed, so I let them go off the side of the balcony. But, sad to say, some are cat fodder. I think they are gorgeous things, and also have artificial ones (silk, beads, etc) here and there in the house.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I was just thinking about them this morning while I was out in the balcony. So many of them. They eat mosquito larvae, which is good. And they become fodder for the birds.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]So everybody wins on this one.[/background]

..except for the libelulas...

Back