Electronics in Uruguay or Paraguay, Less Expensive Than Argentina?

Just keep in mind when shopping, aduana is pretty strict about checking baggage/cars/whatever when you come back into Argentina - at least in Iguazu.

We bought a tv last week while up in Iguazu. We drove over the border. Wound up buying a flatscreen tv at dutyfree. TV was 630 US. We paid in pesos at the official rate - $2835 pesos. So really, TV was about 470 USD using money converted at the blue rate. Still more expensive than it would have been in the US but a heck of a lot cheaper than here in Arg.

Anyway, driving back into Arg, the car was searched and we had to pay a fine on the tv - 330 USD over the allowed individual limit. But we paid it in pesos as well, so even that wasn't too painful.

But something to definitely keep in mind -the gov't is aware people are going there to shop. Every car was searched.

I came back from Asuncion on the bus, and every bag was put through the x-ray machine. There was quite the kafuffle over my MacBook, which I had brought with me from Canada. The aduana asked for a receipt (which I couldn't produce) and really took a good look at it to make sure it wasn't new.

All they want is coima, still is good for small things like cellphones, everything over 150 pay 50% tax and by air the limit is u$ 300 then 50%, many locals go to chile now for flat screen tvs

In chile, the big department stores like Falabella and casa Paris are good for big flat screen tvs, specially when on sale, at falabella there is a card for discounts that you can apply for at the Falabella in BA and use it on chile, but not sure if it's only for locals, prices are online in pesos chilenos.

arlean said:
What about Chile for electronics. Anyone know about that?

a while ago it was cheaper to go to Chile and buy a tv to bring back. That included airfare, taxes in Argentina and Chile, and excess baggage. This was for a better model than the ones you can get here.

The only problem would be warranty / repair etc.

I'd also keep an eye out for when the "new" models are coming as i got an old philips model around 2000 pesos cheaper than the "new" model is currently.

This was one of the special one off coto deals.

Paraguay...a lawless country, if something happens to you there, good luck. The chances you will get a counterfeit product are extremely high. Most times there is no way to tell it is counterfeit. Even the money is often counterfeit.
If you are afraid you are an easy target in Buenos Aires...well, don't even try Paraguay. I had one uncle working for an NGO in Ciudad del Este. Think twice before going and shopping there.
Chile is much easier and a LOT safer.
Just my two counterfeit cents :)

Lulu-Kyoko said:
I came back from Asuncion on the bus, and every bag was put through the x-ray machine. There was quite the kafuffle over my MacBook, which I had brought with me from Canada. The aduana asked for a receipt (which I couldn't produce) and really took a good look at it to make sure it wasn't new.

Interesting. Can you elaborate?

@jago25_98-- the procedure at customs is that everyone has to get off the bus, hand over their passport/documents, gather their 'checked' luggage and then head over to the x-ray section. When this is done, the checked luggage goes back on the bus, the bus leaves, and everyone is given back their documents.

I put my backpack through, and then my carry-on with the computer. I was then separated from the crowd and the aduana did a pretty thorough search of both bags, but were really only interested in the computer. They took it out of the sleeve, opened it up, flipped it over a few times, looked at the underside, etc., all the while asking for a receipt... which, as I say, I couldn't produce.

It was a bit nerve-racking. But I think it was pretty obvious that I was a tourist, that the computer was used (although I bought it approx. three months ago, so it is new-ish), and that I was totally confused. They were most concerned with the underside, and I've only just noticed that the spot they were (maybe?) looking at says "designed by Apple in California, assembled in China... complies with Canadian specifications..."

Thanks LuLu.

What I do now sometimes is separate the hard drive from the computer. I've taken out the screws just in case. That way if something gets seized I hope I have a better chance of keeping all my photos etc.

I think also I will keep a print out of ebay receipts next time I buy something just in case.

Back