Employment in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Borelo

Registered
I have dual citizenship and want to live in Buenos Aires. What is the best way to find employment in the area?

Depends on your trade.

If it’s skilled / professional, Linkedin and regular jobs boards are your best bet.

For non-skilled, casual work, you’ll find these through word of mouth when here.

Needless to say, with high inflation and a weak currency, your best bet -if you can- is to find remote work that pays in USD or other hard currency.

Good luck

I see a lot of shops with noticias in the windows they are looking for employees

We are currently dealing with a number of self-employed people, wood and aluminium carpenters, painters, plumbers, gardeners, and so on, and they charge very respectable prices for their work. You would need to invest quite a bit of time in publicity, leaving business cards in building suppliers' shops and condo reception areas in the area north of Buenos Aires (Pilar, Maschwitz, Escobar, Campana, etc).

A few weeks ago, I had a cab driver who was also an emergency room physician. He made more money driving a cab- he told us at the public hospital he makes about 3000 pesos an hour. Driving a cab, he often clears 5000... He still does both, most days.
Its a very tough job market unless you have particular skills.

The bad thing about Argentina is that a lot of the professionals are poorly qualified and lazy. Even if you are prepared to pay well, it is often quite difficult to find someone good at their job.

But this is also the good thing: if you are willing to provide good work you will have a lot of opportunities. Whether that pays off in USD is a different question though.

If I were looking for a job here, I would explore two options (obviously that depends on your skills and interests):
1) Calderista (heating systems): there is a complete lack of professionals who are in this line of work (at least thats my personal experience). And it can’t be too difficult to learn this trade. I would try to get hired in this field, learn the trade within one year, and make myself independent.
2) solar systems: also here is a demand for people who can install systems. And with higher electricity prices and more accessible imports, this could be a very interesting business over the next years

The bad thing about Argentina is that a lot of the professionals are poorly qualified and lazy. Even if you are prepared to pay well, it is often quite difficult to find someone good at their job.

But this is also the good thing: if you are willing to provide good work you will have a lot of opportunities. Whether that pays off in USD is a different question though.

If I were looking for a job here, I would explore two options (obviously that depends on your skills and interests):
1) Calderista (heating systems): there is a complete lack of professionals who are in this line of work (at least thats my personal experience). And it can’t be too difficult to learn this trade. I would try to get hired in this field, learn the trade within one year, and make myself independent.
2) solar systems: also here is a demand for people who can install systems. And with higher electricity prices and more accessible imports, this could be a very interesting business over the next years
If it’s anything to do with gas then you have to be “matriculado” it’s probably heavily controlled by a select few and not many foreigners.

Agree on the solar systems front if imports open up that could be big business.

I have dual citizenship and want to live in Buenos Aires. What is the best way to find employment in the area?
To find good employment, personal connections.
To find an employment, cv drops/ job ads/ linkedin etc like anywhere else.
Really depends what you are aiming for.

Back