English skill

The overwhelming majority of the over-educated sub-40 crowd does. However, among the rest of the population (Ie, everyone else except for those who are both very educated and also under 40) does not. Of course there are many exceptions.

Last edited:
Many educated people can speak English but prefer not to. They love their language and prefer not to make it easy for you by speaking in English with you.

I still contend that most of the population here does not speak English “well” which is what I thought the question was. “Some” may speak English well, a minority, others may speak poorly, but for the most part many speak a word or two if that.

I agree that many educated Argentinos speak English, but not well. They do not like to speak English, I believe not because they want to make it harder on foreigners, but they don't want to show their ignorance when speaking English. Argentinos are very proud, and hate to display their foibles.

But it's comical to see an Argentino criticize another's English, when often they are both wrong.

I agree that many educated Argentinos speak English, but not well. They do not like to speak English, I believe not because they want to make it harder on foreigners, but they don't want to show their ignorance when speaking English. Argentinos are very proud, and hate to display their foibles.

But it's comical to see an Argentino criticize another's English, when often they are both wrong.

....on the other hand, when I really need to know how to use English correctly, my go-to person is an Argentina, not a native English speaker like myself.

During my eleven years living here I've found doctors especially speak English much more than any other professional person I come into contact with.

Others, especially the educated young, can understand English but have to be coaxed into speaking it, through shyness I suppose. They tend to open up a bit more when they recognise how poor my Spanish is. :)

I have actually consistently encountered the opposite situation... When Argentines hear my slightly-accented Castellano, they want to talk to me in English (which I stubbornly refuse to do). I used to take offense to it, believing that they thought that my Spanish must be so poor that they needed to speak to me in my native language. However, my Argentine husband told me that 9 times out of 10, it is because they want to practice their English with me, as it is seen as "cool."

¿Qué sé yo? :p

Back