English-speaking grief counselors?

starlucia

Registered
Hi, all, hoping you can help. One of my American students recently lost her father to a massive heart attack. In addition to the shock of the loss, she is trying to cope while alone here in BsAs, far away from her friends and family. I'd like to put together a list of English-speaking grief counselors she could talk to; could anyone provide any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Or send me an email...

Annie Ory
Certified Whole Life Coach
Dating, Relationship & Grief Coach
Author, Authentic Dating

Time Zone: UTC/GMT -3 hours
Cell - Argentina: 11 5482 4116
+54 911 5482 4116 (from US)
Home - Argentina: +54 11 4952 4079
Skype.com name: annieory
US Phone: 414-455-6524
(connects to my computer in Buenos Aires via Skype)

http://mappinglove.com/
http://www.mappingloveblog.com/ (blog)
FaceBook Group: Authentic Dating & Relationships

"The small man puts all he knows in cages,
While the sage,
Who must duck his head when the moon is low,
Goes about all night dropping keys for the beautiful, rowdy prisoners."
- Hafiz

Tough situation. Good luck to your student and to YOU Starlucia, as a teacher myself I know how much you empathize with your students.

I did want to say, while I'm surprised that there are no other postings, it's not a bad thing. Giving bereaved people a list is often overwhelming. Young people can be overwhelmed by being far away from family, in a new culture, finding their way through learning new things. Add to that a significant loss which is aggravated by distance from home and family and it can be even more so.

It is important for you know as her guide/mentor/teacher that grief is cognitive as well as emotional. It literally impacts thought processes, clarity of thought, and in young people alone can easily lead to depression, drug and alcohol abuse, inability to effectively manage details of life and worse, to reliance on people and things that aren't trustworthy.

I don't know why your student can't go home, that would be my 1st suggestion. If s/he has decided that s/he absolutely can't then putting together a self care process that she is encouraged by all around her to live within will be helpful.

Please do let her know that I am here if she needs someone to talk with.

Peace~

Yes it is very difficult to be a foreign land when a loved ones passes away . When I first moved to Argentina in 2005 my beloved father passed away in the first 10 days of moving here. I did not go home but with the tremendous guilt that this caused me I always regretted not attending the funeral .

For me at that time who knew few people it was a period of deep grief and I wish that I had someone here in Buenos Aires to talk too For me this is paramount and if you can find a good professional please go as it will certainly be needed at this difficult time.

starlucia said:
Hi, all, hoping you can help. One of my American students recently lost her father to a massive heart attack. In addition to the shock of the loss, she is trying to cope while alone here in BsAs, far away from her friends and family. I'd like to put together a list of English-speaking grief counselors she could talk to; could anyone provide any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Very sorry about your student's loss - it must very hard to deal with, being so far away from home.

Try contacting the Hospital Britanico - it has English-speaking professionals of all kinds on staff, including therapists. It is a little out of the way but there are satellite centers in Barrio Norte and Belgrano.

PERDRIEL 74 - CIUDAD AUTÓNOMA DE BUENOS AIRES - TEL (54 - 11) 4309 - 6400
http://www.hospitalbritanico.org.ar/

Good luck...

Sara

If you send me a private message i can give you the details of a friend of mine, trained psychologist from the States, living here...
All the best

very sorry about your student's loss. And also very nice of you to worry so much about her!
I am an UBA clinical psychologist, also London trained. I have been working in BUenos Aires and in London with children teenagers and adults. You pass my email to her or even tell her to check our web site.www.estudiolondres.org

Estrada Vigil & Medical Group
Bilingual Psychologists & Psychiatras
Focused Psychotherapy, Cognitive Techniques, Individual, family and couple therapy. Psycho pharmacology.
More than 15 years of experience working in Buenos Aires .
Fluent Spanish, English, Portuguese and German speaking psychologists and psychiatrists in our team will love to help you to make you stay in Argentina a better experience!
Don’t hesitate to call!
Visit our website www.inesestradavigil.com.ar
Our office is located in Palermo, Buenos Aires .Argentina
Appts. 4777 7327. Emergencies 1544197092

Back