Entitlements For People With Disabilites In Argentina

hbk said:
Thanks for the advice but i won't be staying in Ireland. I have a girlfriend in Argentina and I am coming there for her and as for tangobob's suggestion, I am not legless, armless or blind and i do not need to sell things for one peso to make money. I think it is ignorance like that that makes people with disabilities so self conscious that they don't have the confidence to come out and join in with others when in reality they are just as good as tangobob and all the so called 'normal' people.

I think the ignorance is on your side. After only a few days here everyone who comes to visit realises that there is almost no system of care here.
You may not be legless, arnless, or blind, but you can believe me or not, the trains are full of such people, trying desparately to eke out some sort of existance.
Good as you does not begin to describe, the first time you see a guy with no legs, get on to a train with no more than a board with castors, then proceced to sell all sorts of items from the bag he is carrying.
These are people who command respect, they get on with their lives and ask for nothing else.

Reactions: hbk
I don't doubt there are people like that. I was in argentina this summer and I saw them. but the ignorance is on YOUR side to put all people with disability in one category my friend and I am not asking for anything, I am just wondering if there are entitlements as there are in EVERY countrry in the world to people that have no other way of making money and in other countries we are not satisfied with these people living on the street, they are given at least enough money every week to survive and the thing that people with disabilities want most is to feel normal and that they can have some independence, so my friend until you have lived with a disability i would thank you not to look down on those who do.

The government does give a small monthly pension to people with disabilities that are very poor ( this has to be proven of course ). There are other benefits, such as a pension if you have a kid with disabilities, or a retired spouse with disabilities. If you are an active worker and get disabled you can also retire in advance and get your pension. If you are disabled and your parents die, you inherit their retirement $.

Here you can find information on obtaining a Disability Certificate that should entitle the holder to several benefits ( listed down the bottom )
http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas...es/certificado_discapacidad.php?menu_id=16369

On a side note, some people ( especially on the streets ) make money out of their disabilities, some might even refuse a free wheelchair just so people feel sorry for them and give them more $. I have heard of people being offered a free orthopedic and refused it because they wouldn´t be able to make money ( in their own words ).

Let´s not forget that there are different types of disabilities, not just physical.

hbk said:
. . . . I am just wondering if there are entitlements as there are in EVERY countrry in the world to people that have no other way of making money . . . .
As "nikad" points out, "hbk", there are many kinds of disability. Indeed, I'd suppose that everyone is disabled in one way or another.

But the supposition that "every country in the world" entitles its disabled citizens (let alone its disabled visitors!) to benefits not given its other citizens is simply mistaken. That most Western countries offer such considerations, I've no doubt; but spend a bit of time in almost any place in Africa, many countries in Asia, even in much of South America, and you'll see that Argentina is comparatively generous.

Again, private charity may prove more helpful than public funds.

thanks again for your advice and responses and i am intending to go to Argentina to work and earn money like everyone else, I was just asking if there are any entitlements there as in Ireland there are many and i didn't think it was wrong to find out my options before coming there to make my life. I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and I take them all on board and staying in Ireland is not an option for me. I am coming there because i have a girlfriend there and i am coming to be with her, regardless what the place holds for me or if it is better for me to stay in ireland, I would live on the street to be with this woman, because that is what love is, but also I think I should be going there and be fully informed about what I am entitled to before i do, as it would be plain stupidity to go there with no idea and then start looking!

hbk said:
thanks again for your advice and responses and i am intending to go to Argentina to work and earn money like everyone else, I was just asking if there are any entitlements there as in Ireland there are many and i didn't think it was wrong to find out my options before coming there to make my life. I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and I take them all on board and staying in Ireland is not an option for me. I am coming there because i have a girlfriend there and i am coming to be with her, regardless what the place holds for me or if it is better for me to stay in ireland, I would live on the street to be with this woman, because that is what love is, but also I think I should be going there and be fully informed about what I am entitled to before i do, as it would be plain stupidity to go there with no idea and then start looking!

Well, I guess it is good to know what your options are here. If you marry your girlfriend and get perm residency + DNI you should receive some benefits, they are nothing great though and probably no money unless you are really very poor. I suppose that you can still get your pension from Ireland while here. Do you specialize in any field? Good luck with the move! Btw, there is an small Irish community here, you might try to make contacts there to get a job, etc

http://www.comunidad-irlandesa.com.ar/

Hi hbk

Do you have a job already arranged here?
Obviously I don't know your circumstances, but I'd make sure you have plenty of resources to tide you over, and think about finding work you can do in argentina that will get you paid in euros. It can be very hard to find decent paying work here, and the job market is tough at the moment.

Whilst the system is pretty impressive all things considered, its a developing country and you can't rely on state support the way you can in ireland. There are great resources available here, but you generally have to pay for them.

Good luck with your move

j

Thanks again for all your help and the websites and suggestions. I don't as yet have a job lined up but i have been speaking to friends there and they may be able to help me. Also I have an english teaching diploma which I might think of doing there also and I have experience working in call centres and i have been looking at doing that also. Once again thanks for all your help and keep the comments coming!

hbk said:
I don't doubt there are people like that. I was in argentina this summer and I saw them. but the ignorance is on YOUR side to put all people with disability in one category my friend and I am not asking for anything, I am just wondering if there are entitlements as there are in EVERY countrry in the world to people that have no other way of making money and in other countries we are not satisfied with these people living on the street, they are given at least enough money every week to survive and the thing that people with disabilities want most is to feel normal and that they can have some independence, so my friend until you have lived with a disability i would thank you not to look down on those who do.

This is an interesting topic. I have known several people in the States, originaly from Ireland who returned to Ireland when they became retirement age or if they had any disabilities because there were much better programs for them in your country.

Nobody was catagorizing you for having a disability. I think the issue was more about what type of entitlement programs exist in Argentina and if they are enough to survive on. Anyway, the heart is a very powerful muscle. Good luck on your new life.

I want to thank everyone for their helpful advice and comments to my query and also I want to take the oppotunity to make a public apology to tangobob. I have already sent him a private message but i want to apologise here if i seemed harsh to him and i want to thank him for responding to my question and taking the time and effort to do so. I want to make it clear that i don't intend to come to Argentina to live off the state and get benefits and sit and do nothing all day at home. I fully intend to work and I have contacts there trying to set me up as we speak. All I wanted was to know all my options and entitlements as my spanish is not great yet and I want to be fully informed about everything before i go there as i think it would be remiss not to be so. Once again I thank everyone for their kind comments and links and everything. They are much appreciated so keep them coming!

Thank you all!

Back