Escribanas

Jim Prideaux

Registered
Why does Argentina rely so heavily on escribanas and why can’t the profession go the way of public notaries?

You need to be first an attorney ( plus one more year of specialization) to become an "escribano". It's different from US where you get your preparation package and take the exam. Besides, in Argentina, escribanos have much more responsabiities. If you, for example, want to buy a property you dont need to have a lawyer, just the escribano is enough. In US the guy at the drugstore, any coworker, etc. could be a notary.
We (in Argentina) use the attorneys more on civil lawsuits, litigation, human rights, divorces, etc. The notaries are focused on attesting, authenticating, checking that all the documents are ok.

I have spent an ordinate amount of time schlepping between abogados and escribanos. To be perfectly frank, it seems a little Dickensian, big books removed from shelves, many stamps, etc. Their role is clearly enshrined in law but of what century? Sorry for grumbling but it’s quite officious and a bit tedious. The concept of electronic records does not appear to have caught on here.

I remember going to one when I arrived for my immigration paperwork. I didn't think giant books and feather pens were still a thing. I felt like I was signing the magna Carta or the declaration of independence. what century is this?

I remember going to one...I felt like I was signing Magna Carta or the Declaration of Independence. What century is this?

That is very amusing. Thank you! Yes, it's like that. There are many transactions that require an escribano but I am always left wondering what the point is, exactly. The procedure is duplicative and seemingly pointless. So now your transaction and name are in a big book. Probably the information is logged somewhere. Why couldn't the lawyer or accountant do that? It's just another layer and no value added.

Why couldn't the lawyer or accountant do that? It's just another layer and no value added.

Bureaucracy and some procedures we have inherited from Spain...

Back