Escribanas

“After having lived in argentina for a year the escribana makes perfect sense. Another layer of bs to interject into getting things done.“

Alas, I agree. Most Argentinians I work with would also agree, which is somewhat confounding. If you agree, change it, but that’s an entirely different matter.

Why does Argentina rely so heavily on escribanas and why can’t the profession go the way of public notaries?
Escribanas
I have nothing against women taking an active role in the active society. I did a Google search for Escribanas and few came up?
Then my 10 year old neighbor explained to me that Notary Public Offices in Argentina are called Escribanias

The system is clunky- but in my experience of buying two different properties in CABA, the escribano is the thing that makes it work. Mine did all the heavy lifting, finding lawsuits against the consorcio and recommending a lower offer as a result, for example.

Notaries dont do this. All a notary does is write down your drivers license number and certify that the picture looks like you.

In the US, the equivalent of an escribano in my state is a title company- who do the title searches, make sure taxes are paid, and so on. Not lawyers or real estate agents (I realize in some parts of the US you routinely hire an attorney for a real estate closing, but on the West Coast, its a title company).

And yes, there is a "union" of Escribanos. Our last closing, we rented a room in the Colegio of Escribanos on Las Heras, which of course, comes with a counting machine. The escribano keeps track of who gets what amount, and its usually pretty complicated.

.......Yes, it's like that. There are many transactions that require an escribano but I am always left wondering what the point is, exactly. The procedure is duplicative and seemingly pointless. So now your transaction and name are in a big book. Probably the information is logged somewhere. Why couldn't the lawyer or accountant do that? It's just another layer and no value added.
In Argentina there is the position of Escribano Publico, with the same activity as the profession of Notary in other countries. To access the notarial function, you must obtain a law degree and then submit to an opposition and background contest after which, if successful, you will be able to register as an Escribano Publico. Subsequently, depending on the score obtained in said contest and the number of available vacancies, you may be vested and assume as the owner of a Notarial Registry.

In the US Title companies generally act as the combined agent of the insurance company, the buyer, the seller, and any other parties related to a real estate transaction, such as mortgage lenders. The title company reviews title, issues insurance policies, facilitates closings, and files and records paperwork.

Back