Essential Things To Bring To Ba When Relocating?

Robette

Registered
What are the essential items that you wished you'd bought with you when you moved to BA? My family and I are relocating from Adelaide, Australia in June 2015, so I have some time to plan.
We will have a furnished apartment apparently, but this may mean different things in different countries, eg.. Would this include linen, a kettle?
What is the best way to bring these items.... Shipping? Airfreight?
Many thanks
Alex

Is this "relocation" short or long term?

If you are going to be entering as a temporary resident you can "ship: household goofds duty free but you will have to pay the shipping costs and post a bond with the ADUANA. If and when you get permanent residency the goods can stay in Argentina duty free.

If the move is not long term I suggest you bring as much as you can in checked luggage.

There have been several threads on this subject that can be found using an advance search here.

Click on the sprocket next to the magnifying glass and enter the word bring in the search box.

Then, using the drop down menu "search only in titles" and "display the results" as "topics" to see a list of 65 threads.

The ones which are relevant to your inquiry will be obvious.

My additions to what you may have found in other posts:

For the females in your pack: check out the Juju cup (juju.com) or plan to use feminine napkins when you get here (at least until people stop hoard-purchasing tampons from the stores)

If there is anything you use daily when cooking that is the least bit spicy, better stock up and pack it in your bag. You can find some hotter peppers but they won't be like what you find in AU. If there is anything you get at a specialty store (i.e. extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil...couldn't resist this one, Polostar88) on a regular basis there, you may need to bring it here. The best method for determining this: if it strays from the regular non-special form of the base product, you likely won't find it here.

Special medications: make sure they are available in AR before coming. Just google the medication name with "Argentina" and make sure it comes in the dosage and preferred form. Many things I wouldn't have guessed are illegal (like scopolamine in patch form...I prefer this over the pill form or dramamine). ADD meds may also be on that black list.

Quick-dry shirts and under-clothes - if you are into these, you may want to bring them. Actually, don't plan on replacing any of your wardrobe here. Every Argentine I've met who travels out of the country buys their clothes outside of the country (reasons: quality of textiles, styles, etc...all the right reasons to do so). Except for maybe the sweaters in northern AR...alpaca.

Aside from that, bring your flexibility. New country with its own culture and way of doing things. If you come here with the frame of mind that you are here to take Buenos Aires and/or Argentina as it is, you'll be fine, you'll adapt, and you'll modify your ways of doing things to what is possible in Argentina.

Usually furnished apartment are fully furnished. If you have already selected a place ask the rental agent for an inventory list. It will include everything that is in the apartment from spoons to sheets. Anything you find missing in the list that think is critical see if you can get it on mercadolibre.com.ar... if not bring it with you. Also think about spices you may want to bring some that with you also.. not a great selection in these parts.

Peppers, Cheyenne Pepper, Jalapeno pepper spices, if you like Caribbean jerk stuff, all the spices to make it. Check All the regulations, even when you do that, someone MIGHT say you broke a law and take part of your stuff. then they try to make you the bad guy too, even when the item you brought isnt contraband.

Most of the higher ticket items are really expensive here, TV's washers, dryers (LOL) they dont really have them for regular households at reasonable price, If you like star gazing, telescopes are expensive as well as high powered binoculars, Very good skys for that when not cloudy at night. if you plan on buying a car a good alarm, and some ip cameras to watch it at night. Id sugest motion detectors too, this may sound bad but better safe than sorry.

Its a long list if you plan on staying for a while, but oh well its pretty country.

I do see alot of people complaining loudly about things, maybe starting a fire in the road for a few minutes, but they NEVER DO ANYTHING! Well nothing that would resort in changes being made or being logical. just an observation from another idiot whos been here a couple of months. So look around enjoy! If someone steals from you, forget it, enjoy the experience. LOL

Peppers, Cheyenne Pepper, Jalapeno pepper spices, if you like Caribbean jerk stuff, all the spices to make it. Check All the regulations, even when you do that, someone MIGHT say you broke a law and take part of your stuff. then they try to make you the bad guy too, even when the item you brought isnt contraband.

Most of the higher ticket items are really expensive here, TV's washers, dryers (LOL) they dont really have them for regular households at reasonable price, If you like star gazing, telescopes are expensive as well as high powered binoculars, Very good skys for that when not cloudy at night. if you plan on buying a car a good alarm, and some ip cameras to watch it at night. Id sugest motion detectors too, this may sound bad but better safe than sorry.

Its a long list if you plan on staying for a while, but oh well its pretty country.

I do see alot of people complaining loudly about things, maybe starting a fire in the road for a few minutes, but they NEVER DO ANYTHING! Well nothing that would resort in changes being made or being logical. just an observation from another idiot whos been here a couple of months. So look around enjoy! If someone steals from you, forget it, enjoy the experience. LOL
dryer?you just hang your clothes,dryers ruin your clothes

Back