Europe to Argentina via Uruguay

Jtee125

Registered
Hi,

I was wondering if many people have travelled from Europe to Buenos Aires via Uruguay and whether there are any caveats/pitfalls/less favourable migraciones.

I’ve noticed that I can fly to Montevideo and then get a bus/ferry into Buenos Aires and return flights to Montevideo are a good $800 cheaper for the round trip, even with buquebus round tickets, so it seems a very worthwhile saving while also giving me the opportunity to pass through a country I’ve never been to before.

However, when something seems good to be true, it often is. Is there anything problematic about this route?

Thanks!

I've never flown in or out of Montevideo myself but non-Argentinian friends of mine have, without any problems. Assuming you don't need visas for either Uruguay and Argentina and have return tickets I can't imagine you'll run into any trouble. Tourists take the ferry all the time, immigration in the Buquebus terminals is fairly efficient.

On the same topic almost,
Same claim is considerably cheaper to fly to Europe via Montevideo or San Paulo, with two separate RT tickets..?

Hi,

I was wondering if many people have travelled from Europe to Buenos Aires via Uruguay and whether there are any caveats/pitfalls/less favourable migraciones.

I’ve noticed that I can fly to Montevideo and then get a bus/ferry into Buenos Aires and return flights to Montevideo are a good $800 cheaper for the round trip, even with buquebus round tickets, so it seems a very worthwhile saving while also giving me the opportunity to pass through a country I’ve never been to before.

However, when something seems good to be true, it often is. Is there anything problematic about this route?

Thanks!
It really depends on the airport which you leave/fly back to. Sometimes it's cheaper to go from to A to B and than to BA.
Example, it's cheaper to fly from Vienna to Frankfurt and than to BA, than go directly from Frankfurt.
Use google flights it's really reliable for this :)

ALl flights which i booked were not in any way cheaper to Montevideo than directly to BA.
The airport fees are here so low, so it should be cheaper than Montevideo :).

PM me if you need more info.

It really depends on the airport which you leave/fly back to. Sometimes it's cheaper to go from to A to B and than to BA.
Example, it's cheaper to fly from Vienna to Frankfurt and than to BA, than go directly from Frankfurt.
Use google flights it's really reliable for this :)

ALl flights which i booked were not in any way cheaper to Montevideo than directly to BA.
The airport fees are here so low, so it should be cheaper than Montevideo :).

PM me if you need more info.
Perhaps that is so and I’ve hit an odd quirk. The root of which seems to be that at the time in question it’s cheaper to change in Madrid than Sao Paolo, and then cheaper to fly from Madrid to Montevideo than Madrid to Buenos Aires

On the same topic almost,
Same claim is considerably cheaper to fly to Europe via Montevideo or San Paulo, with two separate RT tickets..?
I can confirm that we did this last year (Sao Paulo to Europe) and are doing it again to visit the Caribbean (departing from Chile and returning via Sao Paulo) because it's substantially cheaper.

Tickets from EZE or AEP would have been $1,200 USD to Europe vs $585 from Brazil, and for our trip to the Caribbean this year it was $450 vs $895 which adds up for two people. Flight to Chile is $125, and flight from Sao Paulo is ~$85, so if you don't mind the stop it's worth it.

As always Argentina manages to find a way to cut off it's nose to spite it's face: save dollars by decreasing outbound tourism, leads airlines to cut flights because the plane is only full one way, results in less inbound tourism, more expensive flights, less outbound tourism because it's expensive, etc. rinse and repeat. This is why AeroCampora appetite for billions of dollars in subsidies keeps growing too, not enough people flying to make it profitable .

A graph I came across last night that's relevant too:

b3rmmr8ds7ba1.jpg

Asunción in Paraguay is also another good bet, the air taxes out of PY are really low. Flybondi and JetSmart fly there from BsAs.

Perhaps that is so and I’ve hit an odd quirk. The root of which seems to be that at the time in question it’s cheaper to change in Madrid than Sao Paolo, and then cheaper to fly from Madrid to Montevideo than Madrid to Buenos Aires
prices are extremly volatile towards BA, be aware of that too.
I had a monitor running on some tickets and they jumped over $500 in a matter of 2 days.. so timing is everything ;-)

Back