Europe to Argentina via Uruguay

It used to be only taxi...mafia...! Now some options much cheaper i see..!

Does anybody have any experience booking buquebus or colonia express online? I tried to book colonia express online but they simply charged me, haven’t issued me a ticket, nor have responded to my emails. Starting to wonder whether going via Montevideo was worth the frustration of trying to save some money

Thought I’d give some feedback based on my experience.

I bought Colonia Express tickets via DirectFerries.co.uk and had no problems acquiring my bus/ferry ticket at Montevideo Tres Cruces terminal. Though, I do recommend bringing a printed ticket from DirectFerries

The bus to Colonia was surprisingly comfortable, the seats reclined and had a footrest which made me feel like I was in Premium Economy after the misfortune of having a transatlantic seat on a night flight that didn’t recline.

Immigration was very smooth on the Colonia side, and my exit stamp was quickly provided. The ferry was very busy, likely due to it being a Saturday in Summer. Immigration was *very* slow on the Argentinian side in Colonia. I ended up queuing for about 2 hours inside the Colonia Express terminal awaiting immigration.

It didn’t help that it was 40C when I arrived in Puerto Madero. In fact, the power kept cutting out every 15 minutes, which meant that migraciones had to wait for their computers to start up again - it happened to me midprocessing and I had to awkwardly wait, give my fingerprints and photo again. I was only asked to give the address where I was staying.

In any case, it ended up being 33 hours door-to-door from London to my apartment in Buenos Aires. It did save me a fair few hundred pounds but it was a gruelling, interminable, and exhausting journey. I would certainly say it’s not for the faint-hearted.

Last edited:
+$50 USD taxi ride to city center..

View attachment 8578
And, in fairness, you were correct that I was bound to using the airport taxis awaiting outside. I did try to order an Uber but the nearest that they could pick up was about 20 minutes away and unclear how to get there from airport arrivals. It being swelteringly hot and me being fed off up of trying to find the pick up location on foot with 3 bags, I caved and got a taxi directly outside the airport. It ended up costing about $40.

I saw many people taking a bus into the centre and had I had more time I’d have opted for the same, were I not unfortunate enough to have booked a tight transfer time whilst having the seat at the back of the aircraft

I flew out of MVD a few years ago. It was a smaller but modern airport with a nice shopping mall across the street. I remember that it was cheaper. But given the hassle of taking the ferry then a cab to MVD we never did it again.

Back