Evaporating Movistar Credit

Those SMS messages that cost you money when receiving are "premium" services. Weather, jokes or some other crap and it works like a subscription. There are various ways how they trick you into them (sometimes clicking on an online banner on your mobile phone is enough). The telcos don't do much about it because they make a lot of money with those. A good example that more regulation and consumer protection is needed here in Argentina. Buying a package with 3000 messages does not help you with those special premium sms fees.

germano is absolutely correct - this may be a big part of the issue. (and the fact that phone rates are pretty high even for messages).

My family has been plagued with this problem. And it can be a bitch to get the services off your number. Particularly if you bought a SIM off the street, not at an actual representative of one of the carriers. From strange calls you get looking for bread, I wonder if maybe you were resold a chip from a stolen phone that wasn't reported to the carrier?

You may not even realize you have accepted these services. I had a phone (don't actually know if it was a problem on my phone itself) that the message would display on my screen and would have no "close" or "reject" (whatever) button to get rid of it, just an "Ok". I can remember once or twice being in a hurry and hitting the "OK" thinking it was a regular SMS message, but it was one of these services, sent by a special Personal type of message, and by clicking on OK instead of shutting the window, I accepted the service.

Also, do you ever use "borrowed" time when you run out? I don't remember how bad that was (get a prepaid plan if you have a DNI!), but it seemed they used to take a good bit of "interest" (i.e., more than you borrowed) out of the next time you charged your line's balance.

Germano makes a great point.
If you have free access to the net, just register your number with Movistar Online and track your costs.
You can also do online chat with an operative to query a cost and I've got a ticket open about a download I'm supposed to have done yesterday, which I know nothing about.
At least that doesn't cost, but it does if you dial *444.
It's a licence to print money as we all know.
Here's an example of how you can see your money being stolen draining away.

If you ever use the 'double day' that would cause this. The 'regalo' only lasts a week. I think also your 'principle' gets depleted first, but not sure.

From the site -> (vigencia: 7 días desde acreditada la recarga).

If you ever use the 'double day' that would cause this. The 'regalo' only lasts a week. I think also your 'principle' gets depleted first, but not sure.

From the site -> (vigencia: 7 días desde acreditada la recarga).

This "bonus credit" doesn't last like the credit that you pay for. Apparently its a week for double credit and I remember that my cousin got a message saying quadruple credit and went to charge 100 pesos only to learn that the quadrupled credit only lasted 48 hours.

The last 6 weeks I have had a similar problem with Claro prepaid, losing 30 pesos in 2-3-4 days, even when I haven't called anyone, only received calls.

Is there any moment when we are not looking over our shouder/s? It just wears you down.

Germano makes a great point.
If you have free access to the net, just register your number with Movistar Online and track your costs.
You can also do online chat with an operative to query a cost and I've got a ticket open about a download I'm supposed to have done yesterday, which I know nothing about.
At least that doesn't cost, but it does if you dial *444.
It's a licence to print money as we all know.
Here's an example of how you can see your money being stolen draining away.

Good example - the "Descarga de Contenidos" for $7.499 is one of those subscriptions to a premium service. 19099 is the number/identifier of the service. They will probably charge you the $7.4999 every week if not cancelled ...

Here is how to get rid of them after identifying the number:
http://comunidad.mov...ros/td-p/100704

I have this same problem now for about 2 months with Movistar. I had a triple-day and had about 120 pesos. I barely make calls and never text (my phone has some glitch that keeps me unable to do so) and in 3 days my credit was gone.
Then I had (and still have) some horrible ringtone now that I never asked for.
I have a prepaid card as well, and I am going to have to change my number looks like. I don't know why it's taken me this long to do so.

Thanks Germano.
So, in essence, we have to enter into a tramite to unsubscribe from a 'premium' service we neither subscribed to or know anything about?
Yes, that sounds about right.

Thanks Germano.
So, in essence, we have to enter into a tramite to unsubscribe from a 'premium' service we neither subscribed to or know anything about?
Yes, that sounds about right.
Unfortunately that is how things seem to work with the telcos here. I had a long discussion with a customer service representative from Personal over the subject once. She mentioned that it was enough to click on some links/visit some pages to activate such services and also that some facebook games as well as games from google play store could start a subscription. So somebody playing with your phone could have accidentally activated it ...

Back