Everything You Love You Owe to Capitalism

Ha ! Mises ! ...the libertarian think tank. Tell us that one again about the self regulating omnipresent market ! Comedy gold.

How did that work out neo-cons? Don't get me wrong, Argentina's model is also disastrous, but holding up Mises as an arbiter of progress is to ignore everything that is going on around the world !

I thought round here people were making claims about balancing their sources. You couldn't get much more one-eyed if you tried ! This, from the people that brought us the theory that Global warming is conspiracy theory dreamt up by the green elite to generate revenue.

EdRooney said:
Sorry, I'm unclear on this. How does the US military inventing the internet on my tax dime count as the free market at work?

It is a common misconception to think that DARPA "invented" the Internet. It is a urban legend that gets repeated so often that most people assume it to be the truth.

The DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) under the Pentagon did not invent, built or constructed the Internet. What DARPA gave us was just the TCP/IP protocol, which is the basic network protocol that the internet is build on. At the time, DARPA used the TCP/IP protocol to build private networks for military use. The TCP/IP protocol was also used for universities to build academic networks to share research and experience. However, the TCP/IP was not the first networking protocol nor was it necessarily the best. There were other protocols being developed at the time that could have replaced TCP/IP just as well (i.e. CYCLADES). However, for a series of reasons of convenience, it was decided that the TCP/IP protocol would be the unified standard for the Internet. The Internet could very well have been built around any other privately developed networking protocol at the time, but alas, destiny had it that it would be the TCP/IP developed by the military. That is where the critical involvement of the military/government on the Internet ends.

The Internet is a extremely complex network, made-up of thousands and thousands of miles of fiber, millions of routers, DNS servers, firewalls, etc... The overwhelming majority of this infrastructure was developed, build and maintained by private businesses and individuals. It was companies like IBM, AT&T, Qwest, AOL, Compuserve, Delphi, SUN that first understood the commercial potential of making computer networks available to regular people and businesses. It was them who really made the investment, did the heavy lifting, took the risk and turned the tiny, highly restricted and very limited, ASCII only academic networks of the time into the massive, reliable, user friendly and fast global network that we call the Internet today. DARPA nor the government envision at the time that TCP/IP or computer networks would ever become ubiquitous around the world and an engine of economic growth. TCP/IP was just a protocol to fulfill a specified military project, that was all. It was not the government nor the military, like AL Gore and others like to claim that allowed the Internet to happen.
Had the government not developed TCP/IP, we would just be using one of the many alternative private developed protocols that were being worked on at the time in its place.

OK so essentially you're saying that if they hadn't used the technology I paid for, then they would have used the technology developed by companies I subsidise with my taxes, using infrastructure heavily subsidised by my tax dollars on lands belonging to the public or going up in satellites I paid for and protected by an Army I pay for, all developed by scientists who studied with scholarships paid for with my tax dollars or in public universities I funded.

EdRooney said:
OK so essentially you're saying that if they hadn't used the technology I paid for, then they would have used the technology developed by companies I subsidise with my taxes, using infrastructure heavily subsidised by my tax dollars on lands belonging to the public or going up in satellites I paid for and protected by an Army I pay for, all developed by scientists who studied with scholarships paid for with my tax dollars or in public universities I funded.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. You, me and everyone else were FORCED to pay for the things you mentioned.

Now the interesting questions are: How much of your taxes were actually used to build those things and how much of it were wasted somewhere else? Would/could those same things have been built without your tax dollars anyways?

Remember that the Wright brothers built the first plane (a technological marvel at the time) without a penny from the government. The Curtiss company, which was heavily subsidized by the US government at the time to build a heavier than air flying machine would have built the first plane in the world eventually, had the Wright brothers not existed. It would have costed 100 times more and paid by tax-payers. And we would be probably be arguing here with people saying that, if it were not for the government, there would be no planes. Instead, we switched the discussion to the Internet.

Back