Excellent Spanish Teacher

Mano Negra

Registered
I've never posted a recommendation before on this site but thought it would be worth recommending my Spanish teacher, who due to recent job cuts at Bloomberg now has the time to take on a few more students. Having tried a number of different private teachers and been either disappointed by the class content or just simply bored by the people themselves it was a relief to find someone who was both professional and interesting. Patricia (Pato) is highly educated and articulate as well as being a great teacher, and has come as close as anyone to explaining Argentine politics to me (although we don't always agree). While my Spanish is reasonably advanced, she has also taught a number of my friends, who have had no prior knowledge. So if you are looking for good and reliable assistance with your language skills get in touch with Pato at [email protected]. If you want any further details feel free to PM me.

By the way the rates for the first trial class are 60 pesos p/h and 110 thereafter.

Let me know how you get on.

PhilipDT said:
Wow those prices are pretty extreme.

Do you think so? The lessons always go well over an hour and like anything else you pay for quality! Certainly worth it if you want to speed up your learning. What do you think normal rates are?

Miles Lewis said:
Do you think so? The lessons always go well over an hour and like anything else you pay for quality! Certainly worth it if you want to speed up your learning. What do you think normal rates are?

Think around half, but when you have Bloomberg on your CV you can charge more.

ha funnily enough extreme sounds like an understatement, a fuckin' rip off would be much more adequate or perhaps Miles has neglected to inform us that a 'happy ending' was included... If that's the case tho, then I'd have to admit that the rates are highly competitive.

That price does seem quite high. We pay 50 pesos per hour and our tutor has a Master's in Spanish Literature and is a former Berlitz teacher.

I think 70-80 pesos per hour is a fair price for an experienced teacher with effective strategies and a background in adult language acquisition. You're not just paying this person for the hour of one-to-one attention, but also to prepare the lesson plan, provide appropriate materials, and come to you (with travel taking anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes each way). You could pay less if all you want is a native speaker to chat or to teach from a textbook, but if their wage is less than the price of a lunch plate nowadays, I certainly wouldn't expect much in the way of quality or preparation.

Yes, that's what I found and as I am conducting business in Spanish I need someone who understands economic and investment concepts in both languages which is a bit of a rarity! I think she is one of the few with suitable experience of the "corporate" world.

Just hire a professor from a university. I used to get private lessons in my apartment for $50 pesos per hour from one of the professors at UADE that is a Spanish/English translator and teaches syntactic analysis. There is also a very good professor that specializes in Spanish/English business as well at the university that probably gives private lessons as well.

Miles, I'd say those prices are close to double of what is normal. Average going rate is probably 60-70 an hour and that usually includes advanced degrees. I paid 90 pesos for an hour and a half with one of the best tutors I've come across.

That being said, it seems like you got your money worth so money well spent :)

Back