Exchange or withdraw?

cassiem13

Registered
Hi everyone,
My sister is coming to visit, and we'll be doing some traveling (and spending, of course!) while she's here. Since I haven't had dollars in my hands for over a year, nor have I had to withdraw funds from my bank accounts in the States, I just assumed that we could withdraw money from her account, rather than her bringing dollars to exchange. But in looking at an old statement, it seems that my bank charges a fee (about 3.5%), plus charges me $3 — and she has the same bank as me.
So, the question is, for those of you who do know about exchanging here, would it be better for her to bring dollars, and exchange them, or for us to just rely on the ATMs? She won't want to bring cash along for the whole trip, but maybe just some to get started with..
Thanks!
Cassie

US cash dollars makes more cost sense (even if security issues), as easily convertible and the difference between buy and sell much less than other currencies.

us cash is the WAY to go! its as easy to rob someone at an atm as it is at a cambio

I disagree. It's a pain in the ass. It is much easier just to go to an ATM, withdraw your cash, and go. If you like waiting in a line, then give it a try. You'll probably have to wait 30 minutes, then you'll have to register your passport, blah, blah, blah.

As far as using ATMs, I've never had any problems. Many grocery stores and subways have ATMs. And as long as you don't go at night, the ones on the street aren't so bad either.

Cassie, if you're a U.S. citizen/resident, perhaps you should look into Schwab...

I hope you both have a good time! :)

Have you considered using credit cards? Never leave home without one.

If you go to a cambio to exchange your cash you will find no lines, no hassels and get a better rate than the banks.

Credit cards are okay but you still get charged the 2% to 3% "foreign exchange fee".

If you use a VISA credit card in an HSBC bank (limited to AR$ 1,000 per 24 hours) there is no local exchange fee.

Just bring enough to get started. If you bring all your money in cash and have it stolen or lose it then the whole trip is ruined.

FYI Capitol One Credit Card has no fee on either end. If you are charged a local fee they will refund it!
Also, I brought AmExp checks. Yep, lots of hassel and safe. Piano bank will give cash dollars with no fee. Lots of places accept dollars and give a better rate than the banks. And, Schwab is a good ATM to have, they do the "no fees" either way as well. And they are paying .55% on your money.

All of the casas de cambio I've been to have always asked for a passport. If you're traveling around Argentina, I would not advise any situation where carrying around your passport is necessary.

Otherwise, you might wind up like the folks that I saw at the US Embassy a few weeks ago complaining about no consular agents being present on Martin Luther King Jr. (a federal holiday) day to issue them temporary passports. They had "lost" theirs.

Seriously, it is much less of a hassle to just take it out of the ATM. If you withdraw a $1000 from the bank, you're paying about $50 pesos to the bank. If you buy the pesos at the airport, that's about how much you're going to spend anyway. And as I said, carrying the cash and the passport down to Microcentro in buses and/or subways is not exactly bright.

Back