Expat Life in Argentina during the coming Depression

syngirl said:
Speaking of protectionist policies, did you see in the paper yesterday that Italy has voted to close it's borders to all imigration for the next 2 years? They have been fingerprinting and exporting the Romany gypsies -- including any minors they find even if they are unaccompanied. Also if immigrants with legal status lose their jobs they are now only going to be given a limited amount of time to find new work before they are deported -- even if they have all of their papers in check! Meanwhile their birthrate is one of the lowest in Europe, so talk about shooting themselves in the foot -- aging population, shrinking birthrate, blockade on immigration -- if they keep on this path I wonder where Italy will be in 20 years.

I am an Italian citizen and on one hand you have immigrants (Romanian, Albanian...etc..) coming to Italy with only half willing to work. The others want to sell stolen goods on the streets and have hope and dreams of marrying an Italian. You are right though...low birth rate, aging population..not very good immigration tactics.

Also...There is a lot of US outsourcing in Canada. I worked for an American company in Canada. I can`t see Americans relocating companies to Argentina when they are right next door to Canada, where it isn`t corrupt and the economy isn`t in shambles. Just my own personal thoughts anyway.

Did you know their are more Spanish speaking people in the US then all of Argentina? My wife did an outsourcing article, and discovered many American companies are outsourcing to Argie call centers for their Spanish speaking customers.

soulskier said:
Did you know their are more Spanish speaking people in the US then all of Argentina? My wife did an outsourcing article, and discovered many American companies are outsourcing to Argie call centers for their Spanish speaking customers.

They are outsourcing for their English-speaking customers too - though the kids I know who are doing that - they have excellent English - are worried about lay-offs due to the downturn in the US. They are providing tec support for Microsoft though whether through the local office or via an agency, I really don't know; I'll ask them next time I see them. There's also an ad, in English, in the subte though I can't remember the name of the company. I'd be very surprised if they are hiring wetback gringos though legit ones might try.

Back