Expat Medium-Term Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, Calafate is a dismal place. I once was stuck there for two days - after the first morning surveying the town, I decided to stay the rest of the time in my hotel room, with a view over the Patagonian steppe. It was more exciting than downtown Calafate.

I don't intend to stay there forever. This is intended to be a three year affair, maybe four. My degree will be in data science or data analytics. After I graduate, I'd like to live as a digital nomad of sorts, but if not, I'd go to where I'd do the best. When you say that I could make more working for myself, what would be an example of such a situation?

Re. marriage - My guess would be that if my spouse knows I have US citizenship, the expectation would be to help him get a green card. That is how the US gov't would find out. The reason I would lose my benefits: that is how SSDI works; I can't do anything about that.
Well, if Argentina is not your dream place, you may not be interested to marry a local then, because you would have family here you would be tied to.

As far as I can tell, this website / service has strict rules on NOT giving detailed financial advice (I have no idea what the exact rules are, or where they can be found ???) and having never read the rules, it seems to me that giving career advice would be wrong as well. So, to that end, I would say, in general terms, it is on your shoulders to assess you abilities, skill set and talents ... then consider how best to put them to good use.

Lastly, please don't insult (I am not sure if that was your intention, but that is how I took it.) the good people of Argentina by thinking you are a means to a green card or citizenship for someone. The vast majority of Argentines are every bit as good as anyone else anywhere in the world. I can attest to that.

Double lastly, life has taught me that when a person values their money more than their relationships, it's a person I don't care to know ... so with that, I will SINCERELY wish you well, but refrain from interacting with you from this point forward. Sorry, you rubbed me the wrong way with that comment.

I'm glad to hear it, not least because the thread will be less cluttered after this post.

I say this completely serious ... if you want the safest, quickest most bullet proof way to be in the country legally ... find an Argentine SPOUSE!

The silly tiger suggested that I marry someone for immigration purposes as opposed to love i.e. the quality of the relationship. Who do you think would be in the market except for people seeking green cards or greenbacks? I didn't want to open that can of worms but good heavens!

Bottom line: I never insulted anyone, I shot down that marriage business earlier in the thread, let's move on.

I say this completely serious ... if you want the safest, quickest most bullet proof way to be in the country legally ... find an Argentine SPOUSE!
BUT - Make sure you love them! (It was implied you would love them, but I can now see this footnote has become necessary!)

The other shoe hasn't dropped yet regarding the permanent effects of the pandemic on our economy, general well being and hopes of progress.

It will be a miracle if Calafate doesn't turn to be as nice and prosperous as the shitty town in The book of Eli.
You are welcome to it if you like the Road Warrior (aka Mad Max) life style.

Iz

We are in a state of collective shock - this pandemic has affected the world, and our lives, in an unprecedented way. Suspended animation is a way of life previously unknown to me and, I suspect, most of us.

Have you considered a student visa?

In terms of bureaucracy, it's the easiest. I have known a few people who have done it. The universities want the foreign tuition, so they make the paperwork and approval easy. They hold your hand through the process to completion.

I'm not sure how it will work post-pandemia. If there will be physical instruction, you take one class of your choice at a nearby university (it must comply with the student visa requirements program). The class will be in spanish. You show up to classes, take the tests and pass the class. You can live in Argentina the entire time without worry. The classes are expensive for foreigners, but I haven't heard of more than $1,000 per semester - and that's in Buenos Aires.

If there won't be physical classes, then it is even easier. You just take your class online and pass the tests.

Salta would be the best option, it's cute, lively, the nature is breathtaking, rent is low, apartments are nicely finished and modern and have great views, food is cheap and much better than in BsAs, but it gets hot in summer...Mendoza feels very provincial and scattered...San Martin de Los Andes makes one want to shoot oneself after about an hour - it's tiny, claustrophobic, and the restaurants are overpriced cause they mostly cater to the tourists. And the next closest town is on another continent...Bariloche area is great, but rent is exorbitant.
El Bolson is very nice an dcooler, and the cordero patagonico is the best in the world there. Second the student visa option.

3. Path to citizenship - Given the state of the world, it would open up several options. My understanding is that one can apply for citizenship for two years of legal residency. However, that does not mean it would be granted. What do they look for when granting citizenship?
Thank you
No. You can apply as an inhabitant. You can apply the day after you arrive.
But it is not going to be granted before the 2nd year.
They check if you have a criminal background, work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back