Expat Options to move to Argentina

Does the pesification technically apply to anyone living in Argentina and is a tax resident? Thought there was some other kind of stipulation that eliminated the need for more people to have to pesify. I looked at that as a completely separate thing than being a tax resident and simply owing taxes. Am I looking at that wrong?

Also, although there is no tax treaty between Argentina and US, isn't the first 100k or so protected?
If you income is from remote work or exporting goods from Argentina, yes, but if you have passive income/savings/etc. no (I'm not an accountant/tax lawyer, but this is broadly the case from what I've seen).

A timely article following a meeting between Cristina and the US Ambassador. If Cristina has her way, the bienes personales tax on assets held outside Argentina will rise to 20% (or 35%), payable in dollars, with jail penalties for evasion (which the law currently includes anyway), and a financial reward to those who dob the evaders in. And she wants the ambassador's help to implement the program.

The government won't have the votes in Congress, of course.

Again, most things in Argentina shouldn't be taken literally. One thing is the assets held outside Argentina, and another completely different thing is the declared assets held outside of Argentina. In the vast majority of cases, the Argentine government has no way of knowing or tracing assets in most countries abroad (or interest, if it's not a high-profile case).

Also, it is worth noting that La Nación is likely trying to scare off its readership (largely comprising older, upper middle-class Argentines who have assets abroad) in order to turn them (even more) against Cristina and the Ks. I am not saying that this law cannot or will not pass, but it's important to know the context and things shouldn't be taken word for word.

Even if such a law were to pass, again, its application is an entirely different story. If they were to actually jail people who have undeclared assets abroad, they would have to jail the entire upper middle and higher class, including most of Congress and the government.

I personally don't see any news here. The Argentine government and the Argentine people have been playing cat and mouse since the 1940s, when the government began to double down on tax collection and inflation rose to 2 digits for the first time.

Back