Expats making friends with Porteños

In all honesty, I do not have any porteño friends. It not by choice, it just happened that way. The first people I became friends with are from the provinces and then from there I became friends with the people that they knew.

But, there is a reason that no one else in the country likes porteños...just saying.

va2ba said:
In all honesty, I do not have any porteño friends. It not by choice, it just happened that way. The first people I became friends with are from the provinces and then from there I became friends with the people that they knew.

But, there is a reason that no one else in the country likes porteños...just saying.

haha fantastic point. Find people from outside CF and they'll be your friend forever.

citygirl said:
I think it's great that you have found friends. Most friendships here between porteños are very long-term friendships - usually they have been mates since childhood/high school. So they are usually pretty insular and unless you date/marry into a group of friends, it's not super common to develop true friendships between foreigners and locals, especially quickly.

That being said, it certainly can happen. And if you have been invited to their homes and introduced to their families, it is definitely friendship, not being accquaintances.

Congrats on having such a great experience.

FWIW - after a few years here - I have a huge number of accquaintances, a much smaller number of friends and of those friends, I'd say most are porteños or those who are now residents here.

Thank you citygirl for such a lovely and POSITIVE response. Why are so many on this forum such Debbie Downers? Never mind them;)
I really appreciate hearing about your experience and I'm so glad that you have had positive experiences as I have had.
Keep the good vibes rollin'

Not really, I have lived in San Fracisco, Chicago, Cararcas, and Madrid and made local friends just as easy as foreign friends. It's def/ different here.

Tangerine said:
A friend will help you move.
A good friend will help you move a body.

Will your BA friends do either?

We often mix up “friend” and “acquaintance”.

a good friend will stab you in the front.
--Oscar Wilde

I think your proportion of locals to expat friends will grow with your knowledge of spanish. When i came here first a few years ago, i naturally was looking for people who speak at least a bit of english. Now that i'm fluent, i virtually do not have long-term expat friends in Buenos Aires. They come and go and i live here.
People who come here from other Latin American countries do not have any issues to find argentine friends though. Locals are extremely friendly and accessible. Although building true long-term friendships is hard in any country.

Interesting question... I have a Colombian friend here, in her 30s, who believes that making friends here is not the same as in Colombia, for example, and that they're not as open/friendly to making non-Argentinian friends.

This is obviously just one person's experience, so in no way comprehensive evidence one way or the other.

pennaigor said:
I think your proportion of locals to expat friends will grow with your knowledge of spanish. When i came here first a few years ago, i naturally was looking for people who speak at least a bit of english. Now that i'm fluent, i virtually do not have long-term expat friends in Buenos Aires. They come and go and i live here.
People who come here from other Latin American countries do not have any issues to find argentine friends though. Locals are extremely friendly and accessible. Although building true long-term friendships is hard in any country.

This may be your experience but I think most people from other LAM countries would tell you the opposite. I am married to one and know several other people from other LAM countries. One couple are diplomats that have lived in many cities including other countries in LAM. They all complain that the folks in B.A. aren't overly friendly, this has been my own experience as well, although I have made many friends in B.A. almost all are from someplace else. There are exceptions but there is something different about B.A. and its not entirely a big city thing as I have not experienced the same thing in other big cities I have lived. I do agree with those who say its difficult as it is a very insular culture. The closest thing I can think of is New England. I lived near Boston for a few years and it was very difficult there as well. A lot of people just wouldn't accept you and you were regarded as an outsider unless you had lived there your whole life.

...regarded as an outsider unless you had lived there your whole life.
This is an actual phenomenon in certain places, so I guess the debate is whether it's the case in BA.

Back