Expats Who Went Back Home: What Was It Like?

One thing I forgot to mention really surprised me, because everyone talks about how everyone there is so busy all the time-- In the U.S., I had so much spare time on my hands that I almost didn't even know what to do with myself. And I was working ~9-5 every day! My commute was always short because I'm from the inner city, traffic was just never that bad (people would say it was, and I'd just have to laugh), and things like going to the bank, the post office, etc. took very little time. I'd go to work, go straight to the gym after work to take a class, and then it would be 7 p.m., maybe 7:30, and I'd have the whole rest of the evening to do nothing but relax or hang out with family and friends. Keep in mind that I was a receptionist, which means getting there earlier and leaving later than most of the office. The perks of not being from a rat race city, I guess.

Mostly safe, pretty peaceful, amazing ethnic food, less day to day drama, but boring at night.
One strange thing I missed about Argentina is how you can get a last-minute craving for a restaurant, or decide to go to some cultural event or concert, and you can pretty much always get in. In the US, everyone makes a reservation for dinner at the good places weeks in advance…no room to be spontaneous.

Mostly safe, pretty peaceful, amazing ethnic food, less day to day drama, but boring at night.
One strange thing I missed about Argentina is how you can get a last-minute craving for a restaurant, or decide to go to some cultural event or concert, and you can pretty much always get in. In the US, everyone makes a reservation for dinner at the good places weeks in advance…no room to be spontaneous.

Wrong! When I managed Benihana Palace Japanese styled steak house on 44th street in Manhattan, from time to time tended the reception desk to welcome patrons. Even the ones coming in without a reservation, if the handshake is good and if felt a US$20
in his inner hand, voila! they are in, no reservation needed! The US way, bull shit walks, but money talks...He,he,heee, nostalgia those old days in the mid 70's !

http://bacast.com/s4-e35-coming-home-season-finale/ Here's the episode, on which we read several of these answers.

Thanks everybody! Hope to hear from you guys in future seasons of the show. Now we're taking a long hiatus...

. At least that's what struck me right off the bat. I went to a birthday party with a friend and was shocked that I actually talked and laughed with people I didn't know the entire night. Here? It's a cheek kiss and then ice ice, baby, you may as well not exist if you find yourself at a gathering of 20-somethings who all know each other.

That's the complete opposite of my experience here, just the fact that I'm an american expat with the whole typical story is usually enough to make me the center of attention for the whole night, which I honestly can't stand. I wish I could a little bit of the 'ice ice baby' we're apparently so famous for back home.

Every time I go to the US I am frustrated by having to wait more than 60 seconds for a taxi.

That's the complete opposite of my experience here, just the fact that I'm an american expat with the whole typical story is usually enough to make me the center of attention for the whole night, which I honestly can't stand. I wish I could a little bit of the 'ice ice baby' we're apparently so famous for back home.

Ha, go figure. It's funny Phil, I read that thread about the Seattle freeze and I thought, that sounds just like BA! Men here are usually friendlier, but then sometimes I have their wives/girlfriends shooting daggers at me from across the room as if I were Megan Fox or something (I'm so not). That or I'm sitting there wondering if this guy thinks I'm interested in him sexually when I'm not, because so many Argentines have told me that men and women simply do not make friends with each other once everyone's done with school. Finding female friends my age was so hard I just gave up. But that was a while ago. I'd join some sort of activity and give it the old college try again if I were staying here, but since we'll be gone by the end of the year if all goes well, I don't really see the point. I've made friends pretty easily everywhere else I've lived, but not here. Oh well! Not every culture is going to be a good match for me, and that's okay.

Back